Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Default composition?

I'm not sure about the composition here, it sort of breaks the rules I think but I like it (and I always seem to break the rules anyway) any opinions?

also, yes she did have lip gloss on, part of a wedding party and she had copied the other bridesmaids and wanted to have lip gloss like them. I know some people hate seeing kids with makeup on

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I think it works actually, the way she is leaning in and then slightly looking back makes this work i think.

a couple of things. the wood(?) in the background in front of her is pretty bright and a bit too close to the same shade as her skin. doing a little post process to darken it a bit, or something to set off the contrast may be helpful. also i might brighten up the eye closest to us just a little bit.

but its a great shot. i like the way you shoot children, you always seem to get a good expression. and i like the dreamy high key processing, also works good with this shot.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3

Actually I like the it, the softer look blend the photo well in this case. It is a wedding, think that is okay with the lip gloss. It is something special for the little girl.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I think it works actually, the way she is leaning in and then slightly looking back makes this work i think.

a couple of things. the wood(?) in the background in front of her is pretty bright and a bit too close to the same shade as her skin. doing a little post process to darken it a bit, or something to set off the contrast may be helpful. also i might brighten up the eye closest to us just a little bit.

but its a great shot. i like the way you shoot children, you always seem to get a good expression. and i like the dreamy high key processing, also works good with this shot.
Thanks, the wood is actually the white shirt of the person she was leaning up against, I did try darkening it but it looked strange, may have to try something else
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually I like the it, the softer look blend the photo well in this case. It is a wedding, think that is okay with the lip gloss. It is something special for the little girl.
thanks, the lipgloss did not look so prominent in reality, my processing has brought it up more
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:54 AM   #6

Composition is all right, see it in magazines a lot so it's not like the rule doesn't love to be broken. I never cared much for airbrushing and why would somebody get upset over kids wearing makeup? They're human as well and should have the same rights as any other human.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:59 AM   #7

Great shot Julie. Not a thing I would change about it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerafix View Post
Composition is all right, see it in magazines a lot so it's not like the rule doesn't love to be broken. I never cared much for airbrushing and why would somebody get upset over kids wearing makeup? They're human as well and should have the same rights as any other human.
I agree, I would not say this was airbrushed really just had a lot of processing and it seems to have come out this way
Old Jan 23, 2010, 9:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Great shot Julie. Not a thing I would change about it.
thanks, parents like it which in the end is all that matters, I got paid well so Im happy
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty View Post
I agree, I would not say this was airbrushed really just had a lot of processing and it seems to have come out this way
This image works, but part of the reason it works is that the posting of text is what balances the image. How would it look without the text doing that?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote