Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:00 PM   #1

Default Need Some help

Shot this tonite, tho I kinda like it, I believe it could be a lots better. Ideas on what I can or could of done in shooting it to make it better. If you want to play with PP...feel free to do so.
1/60s f/8.0 at 70.0mm iso400

Name:  DSC_8618.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  68.0 KB

Thanks
Dennis
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

part of the problem is the flare. do you have a filter mounted on your lens? if so, i would take it off when shooting into the sun.

also you are shooting 70mm at 1/60, not sure if this is an image stabilized lens or not, but thats nearing the limit for a really sharp handheld shot. (if you used tripod ignore this comment)

but the biggest problem is that most of the scene is underexposed due to the strong light source in the middle. this leaves it pretty noisy and without alot of detail.

a shot like this would actually be a great candidate for HDR given the large dynamic range and the breadth of colors in the sky. for more information, see the stickies in our HDR forum. and you can tryout photomatix at Hdrsoft.com. that type of processing is a fun tool to learn, and helpful for shots like this.

alternately you can do it the old fashioned way and expose 1 for the sky and 1 for the land and combine via some layers.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:54 PM   #3

No, dont have a filter on the lens. Not a stabilzed lens either..a NIkon35-70 F3.3-4.5 AF from '86. It was hand held, saw it out the window, grabbed the camera, didnt have a coat or shoes, so got cold fast and started shaking after a minute or so.
Havent tried any HDR but did download Photmatix a while back. I'll start trying HDR and maybe do better next time on another sunset.
Appreciate the help, Dustin..Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

alternately you can do it the old fashioned way and expose 1 for the sky and 1 for the land and combine via some layers.
Call me old fashioned but I prefer to use a simple GND filter and expose one frame. No muss no fuss.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerafix View Post
Call me old fashioned but I prefer to use a simple GND filter and expose one frame. No muss no fuss.
Sometimes you get out of a pic what you put in. Mussing and fussing is what its about isnt it?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:49 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
sure, that would be a good choice as well. and i guess that would be the real old fashioned way. just didn't figure most people owned 1, so i gave my recommendation assuming a copy of photoshop and not having a split nd.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:21 AM   #7

anybody giving it a go ?

Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Sometimes you get out of a pic what you put in. Mussing and fussing is what its about isnt it?
It's all relative I suppose. I prefer to put the work into taking the picture, not Photoshopping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80
sure, that would be a good choice as well. and i guess that would be the real old fashioned way. just didn't figure most people owned 1, so i gave my recommendation assuming a copy of photoshop and not having a split nd.
And that's shocking to me! It's a pretty basic component for landscape photography in my opinion. I wouldn't even bother bringing my wide angle out in the field without my GND/CPL/etc. I think if people would take the time and return to the basics they would benefit from slowing down and really concentrate on what photography is all about, that is of course light. Not computer programs. Perhaps I am simply outdated, but if that's the case I don't want to be indated! Of course I'm not saying I don't use Photoshop etc, I try and only use it to refine an image that I've tried to take to the best of my ability, not make one. Though I do like to play around with it sometimes.
Now I'm not accusing anybody of anything, that's just my opinion for what it's worth (not much, I am aware).

As for the image I would have cropped off just above the fence posts so it would just be red sky + silhouette of trees. I think that would strengthen the image a bit more.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:31 AM   #9

Sorry, but that's a bad pick to me. Trees out of focus, the sun's burned, etc. Not a keeper. And if you go digital you need p&p. No question about that. The pick itself is software.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's all relative I suppose. I prefer to put the work into taking the picture, not Photoshopping it.

And that's shocking to me! It's a pretty basic component for landscape photography in my opinion. I wouldn't even bother bringing my wide angle out in the field without my GND/CPL/etc. I think if people would take the time and return to the basics they would benefit from slowing down and really concentrate on what photography is all about, that is of course light. Not computer programs. Perhaps I am simply outdated, but if that's the case I don't want to be indated! Of course I'm not saying I don't use Photoshop etc, I try and only use it to refine an image that I've tried to take to the best of my ability, not make one. Though I do like to play around with it sometimes.
Now I'm not accusing anybody of anything, that's just my opinion for what it's worth (not much, I am aware).

As for the image I would have cropped off just above the fence posts so it would just be red sky + silhouette of trees. I think that would strengthen the image a bit more.

I believe there is room in photography for all tools, be it optical or computer. for example, one of my favorite techniques is using 9 step neutral density to achieve long exposures in daylight, now this is something you simply cannot do in photoshop. similarly a CPL cannot be fully replicated in photoshop. but similarly the power of using layer masks in photoshop is something i cannot achieve any other way.