Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Default thoughts on Composition

Just wanted some input on the composition of this shot. I felt this shot required the red leave to be centered to draw your eyes to it. What are your opinions? Shot with a Pentax K7 and 55-300mm lens.
Attached Images

tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:40 PM   #2

I'm sorry, but I don't get it. What are you trying to take a picture of here? Is a mood? Is it the red leaf in the middle?

Basically, what have you tried to capture in this picture?
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. What are you trying to take a picture of here? Is a mood? Is it the red leaf in the middle?

Basically, what have you tried to capture in this picture?
The red leave in the middle, trying to show it hanging on. And the mood of fall. My question is was it wise to center that leave or not?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

if the story you are trying to tell is the red leaf hanging on. then you are going to have to get much closer. right now, the viewer has no idea what the story is since no element stands out above the rest.

get alot closer, make the leaf the star. and shoot in better lighting, that shadow across the middle is going to be even more distracting close up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if the story you are trying to tell is the red leaf hanging on. then you are going to have to get much closer. right now, the viewer has no idea what the story is since no element stands out above the rest.

get alot closer, make the leaf the star. and shoot in better lighting, that shadow across the middle is going to be even more distracting close up.
Got it. I guess I was more caught up in the mood, and lost sight of the story I set out to shoot.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
... My question is was it wise to center that leave or not?

It is seldom a good idea to place your main-object smack into the center. Better to have it a bit to one side on both the Y- and X-axis. Maybe it would be helpful for you to read a litttle about the "rule of thirds" - http://verden.abcsok.no/index.html?q...s%22&cs=latin1 , as this might give you a little idea of one of the rules of composition.

Now, what you have here in post #1 isn't much to go on, but if I had to do something about it I would do the following:

1 - place the red leave (which you say is your main-object) off to one side, or...

2 - Since you have very harsh contrast in your picture, I would soften it up a bit (orthon-treatment) to be a bit easier on the eyes.

Good luck with your K-7, a fantastic camera!

Mind you, both edits are a bit exaggerated, and IMO, the red leave is just too small (too far away). You did cut off some nice colored leaves on topp, though:
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote