Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:26 AM   #1

Default With or without rock...

Had an opportunity to take a series of photos of a relatively calm Great Blue Heron, standing in some relatively calm water. Not sure if the rock helps "anchor" the shot, or detracts from the symmetry. So here it is with and without the rock:
(Glad for any and all helpful critique!)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:29 AM   #2

With the rock and there is some balance for the greater space on the left. Without the rock and the bird should be moved more centre, in my opinion.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i agree with Bynx. it looks great with the rock in for balance, or it would probably work without and a little crop off the left.

i personally would keep the aspect ratio and leave the rock. looks good to me.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:54 PM   #4

Hi,

I really enjoy reading other people's comments on what they "see" in a particular image or what they would prefer to "see". The comments open my eyes and force me to look at things from a different perspective.

Now, if you hadn't mentioned the rock in the lower corner, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. but since you did, my eyes keep getting drawn to it. I suppose it does give a sense of scale. But, I, personally, find it a distraction. I really prefer the image on the right. Without the rock, my eyes are immediately drawn to Heron and it's reflection on the water. Looking further into the water, the clarity is such that I can see the Herons feet perched on the large boulder and the complexity of structure below the surface. It's actually a richly detailed image (IMHO).

When I look at the image with the rock- I see that darned rock.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:46 PM   #5

I agree with Zig on this one. Both are fine but I like it without the rock much better.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:57 PM   #6

I'm no good at composition, and I can't decide. I think I prefer to not have the rock, mainly because it's been brought up and I've now really looked at it. Not sure it would have bothered me at all if you hadn't mentioned it. But I agree that if you remove it, I'd like it better if you crop a bit closer to the bird. So I probably shouldn't even comment about that. You might want to clone out the couple of small spots - I thought my monitor had a spot on it, until I scrolled up and the spot moved. Then I noticed a couple of other ones. Or is it really my monitor??? I really like the bird, by the way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm no good at composition, and I can't decide. I think I prefer to not have the rock, mainly because it's been brought up and I've now really looked at it. Not sure it would have bothered me at all if you hadn't mentioned it. But I agree that if you remove it, I'd like it better if you crop a bit closer to the bird. So I probably shouldn't even comment about that. You might want to clone out the couple of small spots - I thought my monitor had a spot on it, until I scrolled up and the spot moved. Then I noticed a couple of other ones. Or is it really my monitor??? I really like the bird, by the way.

i think there is a small smudge right behind the birds back and just under the beak. so i think its there and not your monitor.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:30 PM   #8

Without the rock. As someone has allready said, it really drws my attention to that darn rock.
vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:11 PM   #9

Ok you guys who want it without the rock, then what? How about the space on the left? You cant just say with or without the rock.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:39 AM   #10

In my eyes the rock is a bit distracting - so I'd go without it, but then I'd move the heron right in the centre

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote