Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:30 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Feedback Needed

I had posted the shot below in the Transportation thread a few weeks ago. At the same time, I had submitted for consideration to a well known site that features images of aircraft. Just a got a note today that it was rejected due to "lack of sharpness." I'd like to get some feedback on the issue of sharpness. My own thougts (based on what I see on my monitor) are that anymore sharpening would result in the dreaded "jaggies". Anyhow, I'd be much obliged if some keen eyes on this forum could provide some feedback.

Thanks...Jehan

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

one thing before we move forward, is this the size of the photograph that was submitted, or being used. or do they have a standard size.

if they have a standard size they want submitted, maybe link us a sharpened version at that specific size. as sharpness of any other size is kind of irrelevent.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
one thing before we move forward, is this the size of the photograph that was submitted, or being used. or do they have a standard size.

if they have a standard size they want submitted, maybe link us a sharpened version at that specific size. as sharpness of any other size is kind of irrelevent.
Dustin,

Here is the link to the rejected image:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2857526
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

well since this is an image designed for view on the web, i think you can get away with more sharpening than you could on a print. also, again since this is for web view, you could have also went a little stronger on the contrast and saturation as well. maybe they would have preferred that.

honestly, it seems a strange comment, i am viewing some of the images that are popular over the past 2 days, and they are no sharper than your image, and some even less.

see this one
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6766800&nseq=2

that is noticeably softer.

seems like it may be a little bit of luck on what judge you get.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:56 PM   #5

Problem may be that the pick, tho good, is like a common place in aircraft picks. So it must be outstanding, irreprochable from a techical point of view.
Now let me say that I've seen some mediocre pictures in that site, not even comparable with yours.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:59 PM   #6

I have to agree with Hards. Your photo is sharper then the air france 777 shot. But you may want to give it a bit more contract, as it seems they like the photos to be have the contrast in the colors form some of the photos I looked at.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:39 PM   #7

Thanks Dustin, Ordo and Shoturtle:

I just wanted a sanity check. I think all of you comments play into the selection..the high contrast (eye poppers), aircraft type. But as you have observed, it is a bit disheartening to see lesser images selected. The Air France 777 for instance (IMHO) has a terribly distracting reflection on its fuselage that I would never consider submitting as my own.

BTW, they also rejected the image of the DHL B767-300 freighter as well for some other reasons which I still do not understand...http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2855433. But it seems to have been rejected for some technical reason vs. photo quality. Either way is am 0 for 2

Thanks again for your comments.

Jehan
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:45 PM   #8

Very very strange. But keep posting them here, I enjoy looking at you aircrafts. Now if I ever decide to get a scanner. I can really give you a tour of a 747-400 and an A340-600 in the hanger that I got a complete tour of. And shots of them taxiing at the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:54 PM   #9
Super Moderator

that DHL shot is quite great.

i would keep sending them shots, your photos really do deserve a place there, and i am sure you will start having success.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:11 PM   #10

Shoturtle and Dustin: Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Jehan