Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:26 PM   #11

The differences are little things - there's been a slight color difference, you've lost detail (like I did) in the closest petal, and there's some sharpening artifacts. If you had the original to work with your results wouldn't have been as significant, except for perhaps the loss of detail in the petal. Like any other program, there's always other ways from getting to point A to point B and there's no program that will work miracles every time. I was more impressed with it than I had expected, but you are right, you can get close with traditional methods in Photoshop.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The differences are little things - there's been a slight color difference, you've lost detail (like I did) in the closest petal, and there's some sharpening artifacts. If you had the original to work with your results wouldn't have been as significant, except for perhaps the loss of detail in the petal. Like any other program, there's always other ways from getting to point A to point B and there's no program that will work miracles every time. I was more impressed with it than I had expected, but you are right, you can get close with traditional methods in Photoshop.
He, heh he, it's not as if I'm a glutton for punishment with someone elses image...

This was three minutes in Photoshop. I tried the lighting efects filter from the "Rendering" group, and that showed some interesting potential. But too much work, so I didn't use it.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 10:06 AM   #13

Default WOW - WOW and double-WOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

This flower-shot is just amazing, mntgal!

I have no idea what is and what is not possible to do in tweaking pictures in any PP-software, as I am simply a complete moron and amateur when it comes to pp.

But, that shot of yours is something I would hang 'up there' - to have as an example to work for!

One of these days I too, want to shoot pictures like this!!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 11:32 AM   #14

Walter - this picture was easy to shoot, it just took an eye to spot the lighting. You could easily take the same shot, you are certainly capable of it. All you need is to visit Los Angeles, or a similar warm, dry, sunny location in the middle of winter.

To be fair, I was out with just the camera and one 200 mm prime lens so I was looking for subjects that would benefit from the long focal length (i.e., close-ups/detail shots) or I might not have noticed it at all. The shadows cast by trees around this lily put the ivy and parking structure beyond the planted area in dark shadow, with the bright sunlight illuminating this very bright yellow lily (there are tons of lilies planted around the buildings around where I work). Then it was just a matter of making sure the camera was set to spot metering so it would ignore the dark area around the flower. It was just a quick, opportunistic shot, taken with not much thought while taking a quick break from work at lunchtime to enjoy 10 minutes of sunshine.

What I should have done was check the LCD before walking on. That would have pointed out that the picture was a bit underexposed (not surprising with such a bright yellow flower). If I had scrolled into it, I might (or might not) have spotted the dof issue. I usually use a 100 mm macro lens for flowers and would have automatically used a smaller aperture - didn't think about it here, I think the camera was set to P mode.

To help you feel better, I'm sitting home about 75 miles from work, where the temp is -2 C (27 F), it's sleeting, the winds are howling and it's very grey.

- Harriet
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:12 PM   #15

Mntgal - Thank you for the detailed explanation of how this picture came by. It doesn't really matter if it was just a quick shot or a carefully planned photo-excursion. It's the result - your picture - that counts! It's your's and you shot it - and its very, very good.

Maybe its seems so unobtainable for me, because I'v never tried macro, or for that matter, flower-shots at all.

And if your first sentens (I was about to write 'sentence' but changed my mind...) of your's - "...or a similar warm, dry, sunny location in the middle of winter" made me feel a bit low - that last sentens of yours, about the temperatures being -2 C (27 F), the sleet and the howling winds, made me feel a little better as the sun was shining from a blue sky here today!

Cheers! And good luck with commuting 75miles in these driving-conditions!!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:06 AM   #16

Nice shot. I use Topaz adjust and detail on a lot of my photographs. You are right about the presets....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:51 AM   #17

I'm beginning to think that I should really check out all of the various plug-ins in their suite as I'm seriously considering ponying up for Detail. When I first looked at their products (before I bought Denoise) they looked too over-the-top for my taste, and seemed to be long on the grunge look and short on the natural look. While I like the grunge look for certain things it's not something I'd use enough to buy. But now I'm thinking that buying their whole suite might make better sense, if the other plug-ins are equally useful. Since I can't afford any of it until April or May, I may just download each another one at the end of my free month with Detail, etc. What do you think of adjust?

Walter - I've been doing the commute now for almost 10 years. Probably will do it for another 10 years - photography keeps me pretty broke. It does get interesting at times, though up until this year our commute has been interrupted more by brush fires than it has by snow/ice. This winter, though, snow caused havoc for a whole week. They kept closing the interstate, and there's no easy way around it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:28 PM   #18

I really like the product. Has the ability to bring out textures and details in a photograph better then any other product I have tested in its price range. Lucis arts is similar, but Topaz adjust is just chump change compared to that product. By all means buy it.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:53 AM   #19

im also giving topaz a try at the moment only problem is im not doing much photography lately
Old Feb 14, 2010, 12:51 PM   #20

I've been in the same boat - haven't been really impressed with what I've been taken recently. This plug-in got me to go through some of the pictures I took last summer that I hadn't done anything with, perhaps they were second-best or just ones that I wasn't excited about. I found a number of nice shots that I had forgotten about, ones that this plug-in helped or ones that were just fun to play around with.

I'd love to see what you come up with.