Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:28 AM   #1

Default Centered?

While out exploring Pond Mt Wilderness area this weekend, took a number of shots of ice on the streams. This one was my favorite. But some friends have told me that they do not like the icy rock so centered (bad composition? Or intentional compositional choice?) Would value your opinions. Thanks!!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:04 AM   #2

Well, too late now... It might have looked better if not centered, (that's the rule of thumb, and it usually works). At this point cropping would damage the image. Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Isn't art fun? I once carefully cropped a flower picture so that it was on the third line crossing and showed it to a friend of mine who was a good photographer. He grimaced and said that I should crop much closer to the flower, having it fill the frame. There was too much dead space around the flower.

So granting that composition is my weakest area, I think the only thing I'd do with your picture is to crop a bit off the bottom - the bit of ice that goes out of frame is distracting to me. That would also lower the ice on the frame so that it's not as centered vertically.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4

Is it just me or does that ice look like a Water Spaniel lying there on the water?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Is it just me or does that ice look like a Water Spaniel lying there on the water?
Heh, he, more like a paramecium. A nice shot! I tried cropping it, but there's no room. It might look better if the orgininal (assuming it was larger) had more room. But it's a nice shot, as is... Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6

It could have been a great shot without the ice: the water waves, the stones in the bottom...
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:49 AM   #7

Dave - Thanks! In this case I had intentionally "broken" the "rule" of thirds because it seemed to make for a more peaceful mood. Also maybe an excuse to go back and take more photos!!

Harriet - As my artist daughter is fond of reminding me, the "rules" of composition are really just suggestions... Thanks for your suggestion about the ice at the bottom!

Bynx - had not noticed that, but it does look a bit like a spaniel!!

Dave - thanks for trying, and for your kind words. That would be one BIG paramecium!

Ordo - Thanks. I have taken many shots there of the water & rocks too. It's a lovely spot for a good hike!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:56 PM   #8

i like it. it looks a bit like it is levitating! and, i think you know that at any point you can make up whatever rules that you want to with photography. if you only follow the set rules, you will never make new discoveries, and you are only limiting yourself. although that may just be my own bias as a fine arts major : )
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:58 PM   #9

hahaha i just read your response to what someone else had said, and i realize that you basically predicted my response before i gave it. (wah!! you don't need me anymore!!!)
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
While out exploring Pond Mt Wilderness area this weekend, took a number of shots of ice on the streams. This one was my favorite. But some friends have told me that they do not like the icy rock so centered (bad composition? Or intentional compositional choice?) Would value your opinions. Thanks!!
Mole, you have a way of making a piece of ice to be interesting... Your photo interest me in how you work with water... What I would do, when photographing water (since water can move at different speeds) if it is a picture I want to keep, I would experiement with shutter speed more... water "frozen" by too fast of an aperature is not so hot... as with a airplane or helicopter, where the blades are frozen... and if they are a complete blur, well that is not great either... it just takes an awful lot of work... every picture does... but that is fun of it... Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote