Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:33 AM   #1

Default Flower in Yardley Pa.

Taken with a Nikon $ 100.00 P/S in my brother in laws garden.
While I think it could be sharper...well what do you think?
Attached Images

Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2

That picture came from a hundred dollar camera? If its still under warranty be sure to ask for your full money refunded.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
That picture came from a hundred dollar camera? If its still under warranty be sure to ask for your full money refunded.
WOW, that's cold, but honest I guess.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 7:37 AM   #4

$100 camera? Not bad really. Somewhat over saturated in the pp may be.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:20 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Not sure that we can make that kind of decision based on a web size photo and also we don't know of the PP involved etc.

It looks like the focus is past the flowers so they are not sharp and it is over saturated but that's about all I can tell. I wouldn't be rushing for a refund yet.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:50 AM   #6

Ok here's another version of the same photo. Less saturation, resized, and cropped less.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ektachrome; Feb 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:32 PM   #7

While your smaller version is more palatable, it doesnt approach a 3 dimensional look at all to me. It looks very 2 dimensional. How about posting something else from that camera and perhaps re evaluate its worth. Im still in the opinion to get rid of it and get something better if you are seriously interested in photography.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:00 AM   #8

ok, have at it
Attached Images

Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:49 AM   #9

Again the saturation of color doesnt look right. The water drops dont look like water drops I can reach out and touch. Nice separation with the background. How about a picture of something other than close up flowers that are red. This close I want to see the texture of the petals. Every subtle bit of light shading. But its not there.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:37 PM   #10

It does look over-saturated for my taste. I can't quite figure it out - it looks like perhaps the flower isn't quite in focus on top but it's hard to tell. I can't decide if the flower is flat in the center to where its obvious that the petals are falling back or not - a little shading would help. Did you use flash or have bright light shining directly on it? The other possibility is that you might be pushing the minimum focus distance, not sure that's what is going on though.

Most digital cameras struggle with the color red, some more than others. It's not a good color to use when trying to show off a camera's capability.

And I find that its easy to over-saturate flowers regardless of color, which takes away the detail/texture you want with flower pictures. Perhaps it's just my taste, but I like my flowers to be somewhat delicate - not sure that's the right word. I like bold colors but with detail, so that you can almost feel the petals, rather than screaming loud colors, looking like a blob without form (don't feel bad - my Great Egret pictures usually look like white blobs instead of birds and I don't want to talk about ravens).

The angle you used for the first flower is better than the second one - shooting straight into the flower like the second one isn't usually the best angle. The main thing about the re-worked first one is that the main flower has a fair amount out of focus. I prefer my flowers to have the closest petals in focus, if at all possible.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote