Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: Which picture is HDR
Picture #1 6 50.00%
Picture #2 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:11 AM   #21

My next camera is going to be able to shoot RAW. I think I would prefer to shoot RAW then process it HDR. That way Id get the look I want without any concern whether there was movement in the picture from people or traffic. And I wouldnt need a tripod if it was suitable for hand held.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:27 PM   #22

I take a quick look at many of my pictures - if I see clipping in black and highlights (blinkies) I'll auto exposure bracket the scene for possible HDR. Also, I have a pretty good idea what will and won't work with my camera, then bracket if I'm not sure (so I have a bunch of files I'll end up deleting - not a big deal). And sometimes the problem is more an exposure issue - I'll end up using the one that's just under or over.

I use Lightroom for lots of things - I prefer it's adjustment controls for global changes. One of the reasons I like Photomatix is that it has the LR plug-in, so it makes things faster. For instance, I'll look at a series of pictures and decide if I'm happy with the single exposure or whether I need HDR. I can quickly make the changes to the shadows or highlights to see how it looks, ignoring the other frames if I'm happy. If I decide I need HDR, I can correct any CA/PF issues (my fisheye has a fair amount of it) on each exposure in LR, then export the corrected 5 files directly to Photomatix for HDR (select the files, right-click and select, that easy) which brings up the program. Process and the result from Photomatix is automatically re-imported back into LR, where I usually add contrast or make any other changes I think the picture needs. Photomatix becomes an extension of LR and a second choice if needed. It's easy to see if you'll need it or not, and there's no extra step to convert file formats. It's one of the biggest reason I stick with it over DPHDR (the other being it's better auto align function).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I take a quick look at many of my pictures - if I see clipping in black and highlights (blinkies) I'll auto exposure bracket the scene for possible HDR. Also, I have a pretty good idea what will and won't work with my camera, then bracket if I'm not sure (so I have a bunch of files I'll end up deleting - not a big deal). And sometimes the problem is more an exposure issue - I'll end up using the one that's just under or over.

I use Lightroom for lots of things - I prefer it's adjustment controls for global changes. One of the reasons I like Photomatix is that it has the LR plug-in, so it makes things faster. For instance, I'll look at a series of pictures and decide if I'm happy with the single exposure or whether I need HDR. I can quickly make the changes to the shadows or highlights to see how it looks, ignoring the other frames if I'm happy. If I decide I need HDR, I can correct any CA/PF issues (my fisheye has a fair amount of it) on each exposure in LR, then export the corrected 5 files directly to Photomatix for HDR (select the files, right-click and select, that easy) which brings up the program. Process and the result from Photomatix is automatically re-imported back into LR, where I usually add contrast or make any other changes I think the picture needs. Photomatix becomes an extension of LR and a second choice if needed. It's easy to see if you'll need it or not, and there's no extra step to convert file formats. It's one of the biggest reason I stick with it over DPHDR (the other being it's better auto align function).
Thank you for sharing this.

I have a D90 that has to take the three bracketing pictures. This is all very well if I have my tripod with me, but I seldom have it with me if I'm out for a wee walk. So there is always movement when shooting the three pictures even though the camara has a very fast serial shooting mode.

I use PS CS4 and DPHDR, but DPHDR has started to irritate me since the tonemapping working space for the picture is so small. I have to enlargen the picture every now and then to see the results. I guess I'll get hold of Photomatix, since you can choose the picture working space from 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or full. I'm pretty comfortable with PS so I'll probably be sticking to it and Photomatix has a plugin for it too I believe.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:37 AM   #24

Just like to thank everyone that has partisipated in this little poll of mine that concludes what has been discussed here. Most pictures can be processed in Lightroom, Bridge or PS and give results that are just as good as HDR. Though there is a little more work to it. I'll probably carry on using both technique on the same pictures until I manage to see from the histogram wich will be the best.

The picture #2 is the hdr picture.

Again, thank you for partisipating.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote