Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:28 PM   #11

This shot is "balanced." The monument balances the trees - Except for the fact that it doesn't. It's totally washed out, and in fact distorts the image. It should be dark and bold.

But the shot is nicely framed, if poorly processed. And framing is more difficult to learn than other aspects of photography.

Keep plugging away!!!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:36 PM   #12

Thank you for this...it was very helpful. It makes me feel like I am not alone in this 'land of giants'. Tho you still are a little taller than me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
littlejohn - I'm horrible at composition. I'm also definitely in the category of taking something that catches my eye type of photographer. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist and find that for any of my pictures to be decent, I have to first feel a real connection/emotional tie to my subject. I'm working on the "what do I want to say" part of composition now - too often I look at a scene and see multiple things I think are cool. I take a big scene that has all items in it that caught my eye and end up with a lousy, boring picture. If it's a street scene it'll remind me of those pictures they use in foreign language class where you can spend several lessons trying to describe each part of it there's so much going on in it. They say in photo books that "less is better" - and that's SO true. I just have a very hard time doing it.

DoctorFaust - a much better photographer than I am once told me to always look at the edges of your viewfinder before pushing the shutter. Look at what's in the corners, along the bottom and top. Is there a telephone pole "growing" out of your wife's head? Do you have too much "dead" space around a flower? Is that traffic light going to be distracting? It's so easy to get fixated on your main subject and miss those distracting elements - I once took a picture of the most awesome sunrise, the colors were magnificent. However, there was this telephone pole almost right in the middle of the frame - if I had just moved a few feet to either side, the picture would have been wonderful. As it is, it's a picture that I count as one of my spectacular failures.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post

DoctorFaust - a much better photographer than I am
No offense to you or Dr. Faust - But I believe you are a better photographer than he is. I know you might be insulted by this remark - But I (unfortunately) really enjoy your work!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
No offense to you or Dr. Faust - But I believe you are a better photographer than he is. I know you might be insulted by this remark - But I (unfortunately) really enjoy your work!

Dave
I think mtngal was referring to someone that gave some good advice, so no offense taken. I joined these forums to improve and learn from the cumulative experiences of everyone here and hopefully my future work will be a good representation of this.
DoctorFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 1:00 PM   #15

Yep - the guy who gave me the advice (a number of years ago) had gone through the Navy Photographer's School, then continued his photography and owned a large format camera along with a Hasselblad. His pictures were just amazing. I've gotten much better from having known him, but I still have a long way to go to catch him (and may never manage it - my only goal with photography is to have fun with it and enjoy my pictures).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote