Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:03 AM   #1

Default frustrated, can't get it right

I think I'm about to give up on this picture. I haven't seen it on a monitor in the daylight, so it could be even worse than I think now.

Here's the picture as it stands at the moment:

I'd love to know what someone who has no idea what the scene looks like in reality thinks of it.

I processed the picture differently tonight because when I finished with it yesterday, there was something I thought needed correction. This picture has that thing corrected, but when I finished with it and looked at it, I liked it less than the one I did before. So I'm curious what others think of this picture on its own. And if they have any suggestions on how to correct what's bothering me with this one.

As a side-note, the glass in the window is fairly thick, old, leaded glass.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:07 AM   #2

What are you trying to say??

if there is something that bothers me in the pic....is the brightness of the buildings in the window..it catches my eye too much and I don't get to fully appreciate the beauty inside the building..I really like the up shining lights on the lower corners.

Last edited by littlejohn; Feb 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:11 AM   #3

the lamps look all weird, may be able to ps or crop them out?
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
the lamps look all weird, may be able to ps or crop them out?

yes that too....
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:27 AM   #5

Does this help at all. I wanted to see more detail in the great looking ceiling. By lightening the room inside hopefully it will make the view through the window darker looking.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:11 AM   #6

Where is that light from either side at the bottom coming from?
Looks like wall sconces or something not in the frame. That bothers me.
Was it a flash exposure?
Ektachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:01 AM   #7

I think the picture was allright the way it was in post #1, and there is not much you can improofe on it. If should be something bothering me in the picture, it might be the cut-off quarter window on the left, but nothing else, really.

Bynx'es edit does give you more details in the roof and underlines that georgeous texture on the walls - but IMHO by going that far, you are loosing depth in the picture, because there is almost no difference in density on the inside and the outside.

About the odd shape of the lamps - there is nothing you can do about them. This is just lens-distortion, since they are so far away from the centre.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:10 AM   #8

I'm thinking now that I shouldn't have tried to adjust the significant perspective error that the angle/lens I was using gave me - the lights really bother me. Here's the picture as I processed it originally, without making any effort to correct the vertical lines. Yes, the windows "tilt" away from you and the other lines tilt toward each other, but the more I look at the edited version, the more I don't mind the lean.

The lighting on the wall is some sort of directional lighting. I'm not quite sure what it is as the windows are well above head height. It's difficult to shoot what I wanted to shoot in this room - I wanted to get the towers of the building outside, and to do that I have to be at (more or less) the back wall of the room. That means I'm shooting over counters with lights. If I go on the other side of the counter I'm too close to the windows and lose the view of the towers. This was taken with 24 mm - I don't have anything decent between 24 and 50 mm (something that's next on my lens list) - I might try shooting with 50 mm from the hall and seeing if I can get the view I want. Only problem might be having to use a smaller aperture to get things in focus - I can't use a tripod in such a heavily traveled place.

Definitely not flash photography - what you can't see in this shot is that the room is a reading room in a library. Its also all hand-held. I have lots of latitude to lighten the room, but I didn't because I wanted the view out the windows to be the main subject, but still include enough detail in the walls and ceiling to give you the feeling that you are in a beautiful room. Perhaps something between Bynx and my versions would work better - I had adjusted the contrast because I thought it looked a little flat and that darkened the room a fair amount, but perhaps I went over-board a bit too much. I've also shot this with the interior black - it works well that way except you get a bit of the lights showing up and that looked odd - I thought it might be better if you showed more of the interior.

Here's the middle exposure of the 5 frame series I used for the picture. I ended up not using it as Photomatix made the sky more cyan than I liked when it was included - I only used the two underexposed and two overexposed frames for the HDR, then used the frame with the sky I liked and blended it with the HDR version.

So the question comes - do you like the first one where I corrected the perspective errors but which messed up the lights badly, or the second one with the wide angle/perspective leaning lines?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:13 AM   #9

Given what exposures must have been, this shot is probably already been built up from stacked exposures, so attempting psuedo HDR isn't really accomplishing much. It appears that there was some lens distortion correction applied (in camera?) which accounts for the odd shape of the lamps. The perspective is, to me the aspect which detracts from the photo. (OK, I didn't intend the pun, but it stays anyway) I would like to see it from square on to the window, but that may not be possible without a fisheye lens, which would create its own difficulties.
For the most part, this is a very nice picture. I like how you have used the lighting and the indoor/outdoor contrast. For someone who complains of lack of talent, you certainly take some very nice photos.

brian

edit: I see you got your second set of pics in while I was writing - I do find the original more pleasing.

Last edited by VTphotog; Feb 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

sorry have been really busy with dissertation, so i haven't been around to comment much. so i may have missed a first version or whatever. and i didnt read all the comments as i am still busy and lacking much time

i just gonna be honest here. this doesn't do much for me, i am having trouble figuring out what i am suppose to be interested in. am i suppose to be interested in the shapes of the window, am i suppose to be looking out the window, hmm the ceiling looks a bit interesting. see what i mean? there is no strong element that says this is a nice picture of ".....x..." and the perspective correction messed up the lights, etc. i would just scrap this one and move on. (sorry to come of blunt)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote