Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:06 PM   #11
Super Moderator

the edit does look good!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i agree 1 and 3 are great shots and hdr would have really helped here and brought some of the darkness out i actually thought on first glance 1 / 2 were hdr .
I like the edited version of #3, I think it looks better now.
I have another version of #3! Do you think it may look better?
Attached Images

Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:00 AM   #13

Too bright imho, but i did notice that some of your images have barrel distortion, because of the lense, non intersecting lines look as if they will intersect, its not your fault. It happens in architecture alot, to fix it you can either use a pp (post processor) or get really far away and use a huge lense next time.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:38 AM   #14

Auguslam you have taken some very good pictures. I'm afraid that the alterations you did to #3 made it loose it magic imo. Take a look at what simple has done, it looks natural and harmonic. As pbjunkiee says it's to bright.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i agree 1 and 3 are great shots and hdr would have really helped here and brought some of the darkness out i actually thought on first glance 1 / 2 were hdr .
Nice job, Simple...
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:01 AM   #16

I like the first one best. I think you captured the lighting perfectly.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:03 PM   #17

The first photograph is by far the best. It has the natural lines that leads the eye. HDR will reduce the blown out highlights and enhance the overall photograph. Very nice...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:11 PM   #18

IMO all three are god night-shots. O.K. so there are a few blown highlights and it it has been brought to Anguslam's attention. But all in all, I would have been proud to have shot these myself.

A has a good grasp of composition and perspective - that's for sue! And there will always bee room for improvement, as Simon so cleverly has shown us? Well done, Simon!

I must be the odd one out, because my favorite is # 2, which has perfect perspective with beautiful values and texture on the buildings. Shame that the building at the end has blown highligts - but that aside - a good picture!
:-))
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:01 PM   #19

Default Getty Villa in Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'm not so sure a filter would help, but give it a try (its only digital, there's always the delete key). One thing I think would be worth trying is to exposure bracket and maybe try one of the HDR techniques to try to deal with the high contrast if you can't get one of the exposures to work. I think #3 might have some possibility if you can bring out some of the detail that's lost in the dark (like the fountains). Though I also like the first two better.

These are really pretty, interesting scenes. Makes me want to go there, something I've never done even though I drive by it every day.
Hi mtngal, you should give it a visit when you have time. Getty Villa in Malibu is another good place to check out. In this moment, I will try to avoid HDR as I want to keep everything simple.
Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:16 PM   #20

What camera are you using? Does it have some type of auto exposure bracketing feature? Even if it doesn't, you might want to try taking a couple of pictures of each scene, varying the exposure between each frames (i.e., take a picture, then use set the Ev to -.5 and a third picture at +.5).

If you like one area of one frame and another area from another frame, you can use layers to combine the parts you like (there are a number of ways to do this). That's assuming that you are using a program that supports layers.

I looked up the times Getty Center is open and the rules about parking. Now to see if the weekend's weather will cooperate.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote