Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
What camera are you using? Does it have some type of auto exposure bracketing feature? Even if it doesn't, you might want to try taking a couple of pictures of each scene, varying the exposure between each frames (i.e., take a picture, then use set the Ev to -.5 and a third picture at +.5).

If you like one area of one frame and another area from another frame, you can use layers to combine the parts you like (there are a number of ways to do this). That's assuming that you are using a program that supports layers.

I looked up the times Getty Center is open and the rules about parking. Now to see if the weekend's weather will cooperate.
I'm using Nikon D80 and I will try the exposure bracketing later. What software will you recommend for HDR? I'm using computer with basic performance. (Old Intel Centrino Duo). I'm now using Picasa for some basic modification.

I think you already read that parking is free after 5:05 pm and it may take more than 30 minutes for waiting. So this may be a problem if you try to catch the sunset. Also, tripod is restricted. If you open them in public area, their security may ask you to take the tripod away.
Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
Too bright imho, but i did notice that some of your images have barrel distortion, because of the lense, non intersecting lines look as if they will intersect, its not your fault. It happens in architecture alot, to fix it you can either use a pp (post processor) or get really far away and use a huge lense next time.
Yes, i'm using the Nikon 18-105mm kit lens which have some distortion. Let me try to use Photoshop CS2 to fix them later.
Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:24 PM   #23

As far as HDR software - there are a number of different ones out there (DPHDR and Photomatix are two that seem popular but there are others that are very good).

But before you go that route, since you have a camera that you can bracket (or do it manually), and since you have CS2, start off first by doing it manually in CS2. Take two exposures, one exposed for the fountain lights with the rest basically black, and one with the rest of the scene exposed the way you want. Then put both pictures in the same document and use a layer mask to paint out the part you don't want showing on the upper layer. Since you have specific areas you want between the two exposures, it should be fairly easy to get your selection right (and using layer masks you can always change them around by painting in either white, black and by changing the opacity/fill of the brush).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote