Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:37 PM   #1

Default Getty Center - Need Suggestion! Many Thanks..

just want to improve my skills so any suggestion will be very welcome!

Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:03 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I really like these compositions...good perspectives on all. On #2, I'd find some way to eliminate the blown highlights...may be try a shorter exposure. I'd say you did a nice job!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:49 PM   #3
Super Moderator

please have a look at our forum guidelines. for this particular forum we prefer you post 1 picture for detailed feedback. other places allow for more than 1 photo and if you wish feedback on a set, you can just add the line "comment and critique welcome"
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques/164321-photo-critiques-guidelines.html

i know this is your first post, so no worries.

anyways.

i really like the perspectives you have created in #1 and #2. they are composed quite nicely. and i like the mood created by the night shots. #2 has more blown highlights which tend to turn me off a little more towards this one, leaving #1 as my favorite. but you have used the lines from the pool in both shots effectively to lead into the scenes and in general the elements are balanced quite nicely.

#3 is just a bit dull and uninteresting for me. most of the scene is too dark, except the building, which is just too bright in places. the lines aren't quite as appealing either.

anyways, these are a great first submission. i really look forward to more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 6:09 PM   #4

I like the 1st and 3rd. Really nice.
rlewis0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
please have a look at our forum guidelines. for this particular forum we prefer you post 1 picture for detailed feedback. other places allow for more than 1 photo and if you wish feedback on a set, you can just add the line "comment and critique welcome"
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques/164321-photo-critiques-guidelines.html

i know this is your first post, so no worries.

anyways.

i really like the perspectives you have created in #1 and #2. they are composed quite nicely. and i like the mood created by the night shots. #2 has more blown highlights which tend to turn me off a little more towards this one, leaving #1 as my favorite. but you have used the lines from the pool in both shots effectively to lead into the scenes and in general the elements are balanced quite nicely.

#3 is just a bit dull and uninteresting for me. most of the scene is too dark, except the building, which is just too bright in places. the lines aren't quite as appealing either.

anyways, these are a great first submission. i really look forward to more.
Hi Hards80i, thank you for your comment and I'll be sure to follow the guide line on my next post. On #2, I agree with you. The blown highlights is something which I need to work on. On #3, I thought it may turn out something interesting but it never happened.

You know, tripod is restricted in Getty Center. It increases the difficult to pick up a good angle.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I really like these compositions...good perspectives on all. On #2, I'd find some way to eliminate the blown highlights...may be try a shorter exposure. I'd say you did a nice job!
I will give it a try on my next visit. Do you think using filter may help?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:07 PM   #7

I'm not so sure a filter would help, but give it a try (its only digital, there's always the delete key). One thing I think would be worth trying is to exposure bracket and maybe try one of the HDR techniques to try to deal with the high contrast if you can't get one of the exposures to work. I think #3 might have some possibility if you can bring out some of the detail that's lost in the dark (like the fountains). Though I also like the first two better.

These are really pretty, interesting scenes. Makes me want to go there, something I've never done even though I drive by it every day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:17 PM   #8

wow those are amazing shots, quality wise, what camera do you shoot?

and i concur on the washouts.

Maybe get a little more creative with your crops??
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 1:30 PM   #9

i agree 1 and 3 are great shots and hdr would have really helped here and brought some of the darkness out i actually thought on first glance 1 / 2 were hdr .

Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:02 PM   #10

Good job simple. Nice shots Anguslam.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote