Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:04 PM   #1
Member
 
orilliaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 30
Default Panoramic

Thanks for input on my picture of the Heron I am really only just starting to learn.
I have been using high zoom point and shoot cameras but have recently purchased a Nikon d3000 dslr which I am really looking forward to using(as soon as this winter is over)but in the mean time i will post some more of my earlier photographs and look forward to your comments.
I love the sky in this one.
Attached Images
 
orilliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
Thanks for input on my picture of the Heron I am really only just starting to learn.
I have been using high zoom point and shoot cameras but have recently purchased a Nikon d3000 dslr which I am really looking forward to using(as soon as this winter is over)but in the mean time i will post some more of my earlier photographs and look forward to your comments.
I love the sky in this one.
So let me get this straight. You got a new Nikon D3000 and you are going to use it when something nice comes along in front of the lens to shoot? Before that happens you can make it happen. Go out and shoot stuff. Even in the winter, and sometimes because its winter there are incredible stuff to shoot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
pbjunkiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
So let me get this straight. You got a new Nikon D3000 and you are going to use it when something nice comes along in front of the lens to shoot? Before that happens you can make it happen. Go out and shoot stuff. Even in the winter, and sometimes because its winter there are incredible stuff to shoot.
this
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Alasdair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
So let me get this straight. You got a new Nikon D3000 and you are going to use it when something nice comes along in front of the lens to shoot? Before that happens you can make it happen. Go out and shoot stuff. Even in the winter, and sometimes because its winter there are incredible stuff to shoot.
I totally agree. There wouldn't be a lot comming from this country (Norway) for many months if there weren't.

Go out and shoot, it's the best way to learn. Winter shootage is a challange, expecially if you have a lot of snow. But when you do take a few pictures that are spot on, it is like winning a race. You forget the cold and everything that you find bad about winters.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
this
Say what?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:28 PM   #6
Member
 
orilliaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 30
Default Winter photography

Thanks for your remarks although not what I asked for.
I agree photography in winter can bring some beautiful pictures, but I am in northern Ontario and winters are pretty severe here its pretty common to get 3ft of snow over night and -30 to -40 temps.You also assume that everybody is able bodied enough to actually go outside....so please comment on my pictures but please don't assume that everybody can just walk outside.
orilliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
Thanks for your remarks although not what I asked for.
I agree photography in winter can bring some beautiful pictures, but I am in northern Ontario and winters are pretty severe here its pretty common to get 3ft of snow over night and -30 to -40 temps.You also assume that everybody is able bodied enough to actually go outside....so please comment on my pictures but please don't assume that everybody can just walk outside.

I live in Winterpeg, which as you, being a fellow Canadian, may know is the coldest large city (over 600,000 category) in the world.

I find the winter beautiful, hoar frost, heavy snowfalls, evergreen trees with heavy snow covered boughs, wildlife...it's great, but as you say and I agree it can be darned cold.....

I posted this awhile ago to another Pentaxian who was intending to go North and take pix in the winter. Being from Northern Ontario I know you have a good idea what works for winter outings...but here's what I do if it's of any help:


"In the winter I still go out in -25 to -30 degrees C . with my camera equipment.

I use either my Pentax K10D or KM (K2000), but mostly my K10D when it's winter.

The camera functions very well...so do the Pentax lenses. So far...no freeze ups of any system in the camera. When Pentax bills the K10D/K20D/K7 as the outdoors camera, I would say they're right.

I take the camera equipment from a warm house into a cold car...sometimes leave the equipment in a cold car for around an hour and a half, if I'm out having lunch somewhere. BTW, the camera equipment when I'm not in the car is always locked out of sight in the trunk. When I'm in the car, I always seat belt it in the interior.

I then take it out doors...when it gets this cold, I usually only stay out for an hour or so...the cold gets to me faster then my camera equipment.

It works fine. I realize my K10D is weather resistant, but I can't bring myself to taking it out when it's snowing and anyways, none of my lenses are weather resistant.

I dress for the cold:

  • I wear long john's and below zero socks which I get from Mark's Work Clothes...you would have in Newfoundland. The below zero socks are very good.
  • I wear Merrell winter hiking boots. They are advertised as good to 25-30 below, but they seem to do well, probably because I'm usually always moving on winter forest trails. I have a pair of Sorels, I used to use for ice fishing, but they are big and clumsy...although rated for 74 below.
  • I wear 15 oz. weight denim jeans, usually Carhartt or Carabela...then over that I wear an insulated coveralls that cover up a good chunk of my back and front and zip up.
  • I then wear a Carharrt work jacket that is arctic insulated.
  • I wear good quality T-shirts, then a plaid shirt...long so it covers my back and then a heavy polar fleece...all fits into jeans....then I put the insulated,high coveralls over the jeans and the polar fleece.
  • I wear a Mountie Style hat with ear flaps...sheeps skin from and made at a sheepskin store in the 'Peg.
  • For mitts...I wear what are called Garbage Mitts...in the Peg. They are made of horse hide, some.kind of leather and have sheep skin fur inside to trap the heat. They are made by Raber of Winnipeg (model I wear are called Arctic three) and they are the warmest mitts out there, in my long experience. Wear insulated mitts, not gloves...gloves separate the fingers and keep them individually cold...mitts keep all the fingers together.You'll probably note so far a lot of the cold weather gear is designed and made here...a Winnipegger also invented the automotive block heater to keep engines warm during the winter. Necessity is the mother of invention.
  • Neck dickie that is wool or cotton and fits around my neck...I also have the optional clip on hood for my Carhartt jacket and I clip the front across the neck, zip up my polar fleece to cover my complete neck...keeps it warm.
I go out most days in the winter out here and I'm warm. I do have a neoprene balaclava (Cdn. Tire $ 10) to cover my face, but I don't wear it that much as it fogs up my glasses.

Winnipeg is south of the far north of course, but when I check out the temps of northern areas and the Peg...usually they're not much different.

It does get to 35 to more then 40 below sometimes here, but with those temps I don't venture out taking pix...you will freeze exposed skin in minutes."

As far as getting out and about for photo opportunities during winter's more difficult days, here's what I have done, on occasion:


I'm not a spring chicken anymore...so although I do go down winter forested trails...sometimes that's not possible ...too much snow to get around. Once the streets are plowed I sometimes just go in my car...with a long lens and a bean bag to steady the lens on the partially down car window. With my Pentax 55-300 mm zoom telephoto I find I can access snowed in areas...too difficult for me at my age to access...with the reach of the telephoto.

Hope this helps.

Les

BTW, I love the brooding sky in your picture..but also the way some of the tree's are lit up with some sun breaking through the clouds.

Last edited by lesmore49; Feb 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 8:37 PM   #8
Member
 
orilliaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 30
Default Hey Bynx

Maybe you should stay with the topic in question instead of giving personal remarks.
you seem to be pretty good with your personal comments but I have never saw any of your photographs on here for comment.
STICK TO THE GUIDELINES.....
orilliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 9:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

Horizontal symmetry (and aligning) doesn't help, but the pick is interesting.

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:31 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orilliaman View Post
Maybe you should stay with the topic in question instead of giving personal remarks.
you seem to be pretty good with your personal comments but I have never saw any of your photographs on here for comment.
STICK TO THE GUIDELINES.....
I only remarked on your amazing comment about not going out to use your new Nikon because it was cold out and you were going to wait until Spring or Summer. As for my pics, they're are all over this site if you look. Particularly in the C&C, HDR, the BiWeekly Shoot Out, Landscapes and Architecture.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:56 PM.