Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Deer-tracks in the snow: Minimalism or folly

I'll take a chance today and stick my neck out for a discussion on minimalism. That is what I feel about this picture her. I was taken by the shape of the deer-tracks and this small tree and nothing but snow around. I shot it as good as I could. Free-hand and no HDR this time - - just a simple shot.

Mind you, it could just be that I am getting tired of this winter and try to capture some panic-shots......?

What is your opinion? Is it minimalism or just folly / sillyness / foolishness to think that this might work?

P.S.: In order to judge this very light picture, it might be useful to swith on the "Dark Theme" in the 'Quick Style Chooser' all the way down the page on the left. With the black background, i think it works better.....?
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i like the idea. but i think this type of shot could go better black and white, and then go with a more hard contrast. that can emphasize the desolation and the minimalist styling.

here is my really quick dirty version, and how i would have processed it. its a little uneven, i didnt spend much time cleaning it up
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:57 PM   #3

tree looks like a model o.O
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:59 PM   #4

I prefer Walters version...

I'm not sure that this qualifies as "minimalism." Way to much going on.

I was once in a gallery and there was an empty area with a frame (six by four Feet). When asked, the attendent showed me a two inch pencil line. Now THAT'S Minimalism. You have a lot to learn...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:05 PM   #5

There's a problem of perspective and proportions here Walter. Pine seems small and very much high in the frame. Steps look big and deep, too much in front. No other clues to give an impression of distance and space.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:47 PM   #6

Its starting to get dark in the room now. Best time to see the image on the monitor. I cant see as much detail in Dustin's B&W version as I can in Walter's color version. No biggie since Im sure the B&W can be worked on some more. Compared to a lot of stuff posted on the forum Id put this one on the wall. I dont care about rules, thirds, or otherwise. Its a neat story with nothing more than snow and a small tree. Very nice job Walter. By the way check your message center again. hahaha
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
There's a problem of perspective and proportions here Walter. Pine seems small and very much high in the frame. Steps look big and deep, too much in front. No other clues to give an impression of distance and space.
Hmm? Maybe the pine IS small and very high in the frame?

I now get it, why Walter calls this a minimalist shot...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Hmm? Maybe the pine IS small and very high in the frame?

I now get it, why Walter calls this a minimalist shot...

Dave
Nothing IS small and nothing IS on top of the frame.
Everything SEEMS to be so. Not a concept you can get for certain.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:31 PM   #9

I really like the original! Maybe because those small pines are so common around here and I love fresh snow with just a wild animal's track showing (if I were to take the same picture, the tracks would have been rabbit tracks and the pine probably even smaller than yours).

I like the b&w and can see going the high-key way that Dustin did, but there's something about that winter sun, low in the sky (if it were around here it would be fairly early morning to have a sun like that - I'm sure you have more hours of that type of sunlight) that speaks to me, one of my favorite times to be out in the snow. So for this particular picture, the original speaks to me much more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...but i think this type of shot could go better black and white, and then go with a more hard contrast. that can emphasize the desolation and the minimalist styling...
Thanks for liking the idea - and your alternative B&W-edit.

Actyally I did a B&W myself befor I posted the color-one, but could not get the subtle tones of the snow right. It was going flat, no matter what I did. But then I never was any good at B&W....

Thanks, Dustin!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote