Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Another Critique

Ok, well the first critique didn't go well.

Lets see how this one goes:

This was actually taken with my Sony Cybershot W290.

Actually lets do 2 at the same time..

Thanks

Last edited by adamvk; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2

like it, feels as if the horizon is off somehow?
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:24 AM   #3

I like the first one. Misterious and nice composition. The color pick is kind of overcooked.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Ok, well the first critique didn't go well.

Lets see how this one goes:

Thanks
Well if your first shots are as bad as these two I dont think it was the critique that doesnt go well. Its your photography. A critique is someones view and impression of what they see. If people dont like what they see there must be a reason. Of these two photos (there should only be one -- Read the Rules), I cant decide which I dont like the most. Its a tie. The top one has no positive qualities. Its noisy. The composition isnt very good. Is almost minimalist except for all that messy right side. The black bottom corners and the vignetted top corners what are they for?. As for the bottom pic, I do like the composition. But your processing is horrible. Well, not horrible, its....horrible. This isnt what you were hoping for, so if you want a better critique just shoot a nice simple picture instead of what you are posting here. Have you been doing photography long? If the answer is no then I suggest you get a grasp of the basics before you try getting into what you are trying to do here. Baby steps first, then giant leaps later.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Well if your first shots are as bad as these two I dont think it was the critique that doesnt go well. Its your photography. A critique is someones view and impression of what they see. If people dont like what they see there must be a reason. Of these two photos (there should only be one -- Read the Rules), I cant decide which I dont like the most. Its a tie. The top one has no positive qualities. Its noisy. The composition isnt very good. Is almost minimalist except for all that messy right side. The black bottom corners and the vignetted top corners what are they for?. As for the bottom pic, I do like the composition. But your processing is horrible. Well, not horrible, its....horrible. This isnt what you were hoping for, so if you want a better critique just shoot a nice simple picture instead of what you are posting here. Have you been doing photography long? If the answer is no then I suggest you get a grasp of the basics before you try getting into what you are trying to do here. Baby steps first, then giant leaps later.
I just feel you are very harsh and don't give much advice for improving.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:05 AM   #6

Sorry to be harsh but if you want me to blow smoke I wont do it. These images, in my opinion are not very good and saying anything else would not be a service to you. My advice was to start with basics and get a grasp on that before you try doing artsy fartsy things like your attempts here. Even Picasso was actually a good artist before he pulled his scam and went into his abstractions that made him so famous. Shoot for clarity, no noise, depth of field, composition. All the qualities that make up a good photo which you obviously havent applied to these images. If you are a seasoned photographer I apologize for assuming you arent and I would expect better than what you show here. I dont know where to start giving advice on what you posted. Your second image has potential but you have really screwed it up with that terrible post processing. How about just posting the original untouched image.

Last edited by Bynx; Feb 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7

In my opinion the first image shows a lot of potential. Adamvk without doubt has an "eye", cause the proportions, lines, composition and overall mood of the pick indicates he "saw" the image prior to shooting it. And this is something that makes the difference. Its a beautifully composed image. Minimum pp may get it better, but i'm not sure about this:

The other picks adamvk posted need some work on the basics for sure. But this one is pretty good.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

the first pic here shows some promise, at least composition wise. has some nice lines in it, and the black and white presentation matches well with the foggy atmosphere. there are some processing/exposure issues for sure, the middle is blown out too much and there is some bad aliasing artifacts from something.

the 2nd shot doesnt really do anything for me. the processing is WAY overdone. way too much contrast, too much sharpening, artifacts throughout. and really there isn't that much of interest here, and no amount of processing is going to fix that.

so do more like the 1st one here, its got some potential if you do it right.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
I just feel you are very harsh and don't give much advice for improving.
I like your first shot. As some one else said, mysterious and intriguing. A shot like this can contain noise, and the noise (in film we would call it "grain) adds to the image.

The second is over saturated, a "bit" to contrasty as well; the details are gone, even though a good part of the image is pretty close. A forest path with water should do a lot more for the viewer. The water is almost impossible to see, and instead of "tranquility," the image is harsh.
Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:57 PM   #10

Thanks for the help. I should starting shooting more with my DSLR as well, I think that would help me. Most of my images were shot with a Sony Cybershot camera since I only purchased my DSLR recently.

Here are the 2 images before PP:

Last edited by adamvk; Feb 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM.