Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Default first critque request

Very new to the group (today)
I have been learning for about a month and the attached is what I think is my best photo so far. I am interested in what I could have done to make it better and if you have any tips on framing a shot as I dont think I really understand what that really means.
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the biggest issue is the amount of deadspace, and having the added problem of the deadspace being very busy with the brances and all. i would fill the frame with the bird more, so zoom in closer, and for this shot with the bird rather vertical, i would maybe switch to a portrait format.

and a little sharpening wouldn't hurt

nevertheless a nice first submission and i look forward to seeing more where this came from.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:19 PM   #3

Framing is putting a virtual frame on your original pick, as you did (thin black lines outside the borders). Cropping means selecting a part of the pick to better show the main subject and try a better composition. Here's your pick cropped, automatic contrasted and gently sharpened in Picasa3 (free program):

Shooting birds is a challenging way to be initiated in photography. You have the Wildlife forums to view some outstanding bird picks. Good luck!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Framing is putting a virtual frame on your original pick, as you did (thin black lines outside the borders).
I will offer a different opinion. FRAMING as I think of it is how the image is framed IN CAMERA. Before you crop it. A related topic is COMPOSITION - i.e. what elements/subjects are included in your FRAMING and where are they positioned IN THE FRAME relative to the borders of your framing.

You could do a google on rule-of-thirds that will talk about one aspect of framing and how to position subjects within the frame.

In general with a bird, animal or person - especially one like this where the subject is looking to the side you want more space in front of the subject rather than behind. so that the subject is "looking into" the frame.

As hards80 mentioned, one important aspect of framing (or cropping later) is to decide whether space or elements in the frame ADD TO or SUBTRACT FROM the impact of the photo. In this case, all the branches and sky are a distraction. They're not aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes a background can be pleasing. Here's a link to a post where I think the fence in the third photo really does add to the overall quality. While the first photo demonstrates where it's nice to eliminate the surrounding "clutter"
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...bluebirds.html

NOTE: getting tight photos of small birds is very challenging - especially in the wild without a feeder - usually people use 500mm or more in those instances. But if birds are a passion as suggested visit the wildlife forum and get tips/techniques for how to get closer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:53 PM   #5

You're certainly right John. I thought he was asking about the "other" framing. My fault.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:55 PM   #6

I don't know that I'm right as both are definitions. The OP could have been referring to either concept.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:19 PM   #7

I have read the comments on my photo and I must say I do understand what I am being told (I think). I took the RAW image and cropped it. Comments
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:27 PM   #8

Then I forgot to attach the image. My feeling must still be bruised
Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:35 PM   #9

No good at all. Try to Google Photography composition, rules, etc. Something like this to begin with:

http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:15 PM   #10

Your cropped image looks better than the first one, but you still have alot of "dead space" on the right side of the pic. that makes it look unbalanced. Try re-croping with the bird more prominent in the picture. I think a portrait (verticle) crop would be better than a horizontal. Just my $.02

A change in perspective
will change a barren wasteland
to a field of opportunity
tikamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote