Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Administrator

I once had a young woman tell me she wanted to be photographed with a Nikon. ;-)

So, you never know when someone may prefer another brand, right or wrong (and that's really a matter of opinion in some cases anyway, which is probably the most important thing if you're trying to appeal to a given audience). I'd be inclined to leave the brand off, even though you do see some photographers listing their equipment on web sites. You'll have to decide the most effective way to approach it.

Camera brands can be like music, in that some customers may prefer one type over another. So, I'd be inclined to avoid brand unless a customer asks, where you can explain why you use specific cameras and lenses, versus them having preconceived notions that one brand may take better photos compared to another, without a lot of knowledge in that area. But, I can see pros and cons of doing it both ways and you'll need to decide which way is going to appeal to your desired audience.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12

thanks guys !
yes the contact info will be in the back and yes its in french lol
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I once had a young woman tell me she wanted to be photographed with a Nikon. ;-)

So, you never know when someone may prefer another brand, right or wrong (and that's really a matter of opinion in some cases anyway, which is probably the most important thing if you're trying to appeal to a given audience). I'd be inclined to leave the brand off, even though you do see some photographers listing their equipment on web sites. You'll have to decide the most effective way to approach it.

Camera brands can be like music, in that some customers may prefer one type over another. So, I'd be inclined to avoid brand unless a customer asks, where you can explain why you use specific cameras and lenses, versus them having preconceived notions that one brand may take better photos compared to another, without a lot of knowledge in that area. But, I can see pros and cons of doing it both ways and you'll need to decide which way is going to appeal to your desired audience.
Your story of the young woman, is of course quite true. I've met people who were impressed with my Nikon. But all advertising is playing the percentages. If he had a Pentax on his card I would agree with you, even though Pentax makes great machines, non Photographers either never heard of it, or think of Pentax as second rate.

It seems to me that the debatable question here is whether playing the percentages here is going to pay off. Ninty percent of the public believing that Canon is the top dog of cameras. How many customers will he automatically lose, as opposed to how many customers he will automatically gain? The "subliminal" aspect of the question. Does posting a big SLR gain customers? Does posting a big SLR with the Canon logo gain even more? Or do you lose more by including the logo?

Well, saying all the above, I've never worked on Madison Avenue, so you may very well be right...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Both cards arent bad designs. Im not sure about the camera angle. Perhaps making the camera a bit larger and square and only half visible. You need the contact info -- your name, address, fax, and phone number.
Jeff you have one typo. Nice card design but E-MAII should be E-MAIL. No address?
Fixed it on the final on my computer, never got around to re uploading it nice cath though +1 to you :P
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
...Ninty percent of the public believing that Canon is the top dog of cameras.
That Canon sells a lot of cameras is a good sign. But, on the other hand, a camera model that happens to be popular because it's at a lower price for the number of features you get, may not be a well liked camera for the models that sell more (with users complaining about blurry or soft photos because their expectations are set too high and/or they don't know how to use it properly yet).

I'm afraid I haven't seen any studies showing that ninety percent of the public believe that Canon is "top dog of cameras". In other words, it sounds like opinion or hearsay versus fact. ;-)

Even if 50% believed it was better than others, that would still leave you with a lot of people that didn't think it was better. So, do you really want to risk having the other 50% think that you may not be using the best equipment by showing a specific camera brand as your choice?

My guess is that most people don't know much about the differences in camera models (other than things like the number of megapixels and if it's labeled as a 3x or a 20x zoom).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:48 AM   #16

another version :

Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:15 PM   #17

Sorry Guillaume, but what's your target?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Sorry Guillaume, but what's your target?
Both of these cards have good design but they're are lack of business/pro feeling

Ordo, you're right! He may actually need different cards for different customers. What kind of photos will he take? Wedding, merchandises, animals ..etc?

The following business card doesn't have good design but it has all the business selling point. This is just my 2 cents..

Anguslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:33 PM   #19

thanks for all the comments !
finally decided to go with something simple and clean:

*all the important details will be in the back.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:36 PM   #20

Printing both sides of a BC just doubles the price. It forces people to have to flip the card over to see the phone number. Annoying. Since most people are right handed there is a grab spot on your card for the left hand making the number easily visible while you dial the phone with your right hand. Id prefer to see the info line in same type as your PHOTOGRAPHIE but I was too lazy to look it up so I substituted for another serif type.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote