Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Hobo University

This is a new series that I have started to work on. This building was built in 1900 and was a freight depot. Closed in the 1970's and has been vacant ever since. Well, that is not totally true, since homeless people do occupy the building until the owner and police kick them out. I really like the cross formations and DOF this building offers. The only problem is, I usually venture into this building by myself and this is by no means an all american neighborhood. Some of the stuff written on the walls is really offensive and can be creepy at times. All I can say is that some mentally unstable people have roamed inside this building. Thus I only carry a Lumix P&S when taking pictures of this building. The DSLR remains at home. I may be chicken but I'm a smart chicken. With RAW I can make corrections, however with only a JPEG output, limitations are placed on me. Cannot seem to find the right color balance. I was thinking about desaturating the colors to almost B&W, but leaving the graffiti on the tin door the way it is now. Any suggestions ? Thanks...
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2

I wouldnt change a thing. I like the HDR look exactly as is. I dont think mirroring the colors is necessary in this subject and the way it is, is perfect. The pinks and greens look fluorescent. The overall look is something that I would consider a wall hanger. It would be good as a series. More please.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:07 PM   #3

If that's a cement buildig it's not so realistic, but looks great as it is.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:28 PM   #4

ive cheated and looked at the image in black and white using tintii the above one looks far better

Last edited by simple; Mar 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I wouldnt change a thing. I like the HDR look exactly as is. I dont think mirroring the colors is necessary in this subject and the way it is, is perfect. The pinks and greens look fluorescent. The overall look is something that I would consider a wall hanger. It would be good as a series. More please.
Since this is a forum and we are here to learn and share ideas, I have included some more test shots. I repeat these are just study photos. Topaz Adjust made version 4 available, so I just wanted to see the difference between Version 3 & 4. Still taking photos of this building. When this is done I will dedicate time to making final versions. None of them have been through photoshop, so corrections have not been made. I will start each image from scratch and take my time, instead of acting like a little boy at Christmas time. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcomed - Thanks.

Photo 1 - I told you this place was creepy. There was a werewolf staring at me when I was taking pictures. See if you can spot him...
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:00 PM   #6

thats really beautiful work.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7

the wearwolf is on the right hanside pillar how are you liking topaz adjust 2 ? ive been playing with the trial version myself.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
the wearwolf is on the right hanside pillar how are you liking topaz adjust 2 ? ive been playing with the trial version myself.
I bought and have been using adjust 3. If you buy a topaz product you receive a lifetime of free upgrades. Just down loaded adjust 4 a few days ago and there is a big difference. A very polished product. In fact if I had to choose between photomatix and topaz adjust, I would keep adjust. This product can really bring out details in a photograph. Love it!!!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:55 AM   #9

I really like this series. For an additional project get a couple street kids with some cans of paint (empty or full). Repeat a shot that you have here with camera on tripod. Then have them step in and pretend to paint, then take the pic again without moving the camera. Make layer of the original and then overlay with the second shot. Make transparency about 40%. Now you would have the ghosts of the 'artists'.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:37 AM   #10

Wow, fantastic set with amazing colors - I like them all

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote