Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
This is really a marvelous image Walter. One of the best posted on this board. I'm impressed...
If I impressed you, it must be something!

Thank you, Dave - I appreciate your comments special!
Regards!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
- This is close to perfection Walter. Really nice and different. Impossible not to fall in love with this scenery.

- If you stand one only critics is the subtle but visible quarter circle retouching over the tree.
Yes, I take criticisme for the retouching-error over the bushes. I guess I must have been rather tired last night, as I had a long and though and tiresome day, as well as a glass or two of ruby-red 'Primitivo-grape' in the evening.... :-/

I should have seen this before I posted!

Anyway, what's done is done - but I appreciate your always honest opinion, and thank you for the kind words - all things considered!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
I like it a lot. Keep up the outstanding work!
I appreciate your enthusiasm, sdromel - but I am not sure I totally agree with your rather 'colorful' edit...
But thanks for the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Great shot Walter. Your exposure is perfect.
- I do notice gray blotchiness from overdone HDR.
Thank's Bynx - I was afraid I had insulted you or something, as I have not seen you in my threads lately.

- About the blotchiness - I saw this first today. You are right. Something "fishy" is going on in the state of Denmark. I must re-do the whole picture (I did rather a lot of pp to it) and be more careful. I hope I can re-create that "look", as I am really working "on the edge" of my Ps-knowledge.

My workflow has more in common with experimenting these days, than working targeted and structured. But I'll get there in the end.

Some day I want to be as good as you are in Photoshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Outstanding! It's one of my favourites of all your posts. I simply love it just as it is and echo the statement that it should be framed and on display! Thx for sharing.
Thank you so much, Shutterbug - I really appreciate your kind words!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
- this is a great subtle winter-scene walter. if desolation and cold was the mood you were going for, you really got me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

- i have 1 small nitpick that i think you can fix easily. on the right side, around the tree, there is a distinct circle. its almost if you used a hard edge dodging tool or something.

- Well, cold and loneliness (I guess thats about the same as desolation..?) was the theme her - and to some extend the small consolation by the very faint sunrays (almost muffled by the clouds) reflecting off the ice, giving some hope....

- About the blotchiness and the distinct halve-circle above the bushes. I have already explained to Ordo, above, why this happened (it shouldn't have!). I'll try and do a second one without all the mistakes.

Thank you for being so honest, Dustin - I always appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...I really like the feeling the first shots send, very peaceful.
I am very pleased you did get some good vibes out of this photo, shoturtle - what more can one wish for? Thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Very nice. Ditto on what Hards80 says. Look real hard at the foreground snow. I see white and grey spots that should not be there. Very faint, but otherwise a very groovy photo...
I am not proud of that snow, as it is, AncientRitual! Something went wrong along the way. I'll try and rectify and do a new one.

Thanks for stopping by and your highly appreciated comments!

Old Mar 13, 2010, 3:26 PM   #15

Nice photo, Walter. Looking at the snow, well, it's knee high here. Keep up the good work. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:42 PM   #16

Sorry I dont comment as much as I should Walter. But fear not, I see all your work. Usually Im too late and its all been said already so rather than be redundant I just look and leave. As for Photoshop if there is anything I can do for you, and I do mean anything just let me know. I have what seems like limitless resources from books, tutorials, dvds, and anything else you can think of that helps to learn all about it. And Im only scratching the surface. Over the years Ive worked with Photoshop and used it for some pretty bizarre uses. But it all comes together in the end. Take care.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:00 PM   #17

I like the mood and tone. I think the white spots are simply reflections off new snow and not a processing or noise byproduct. Maybe not enough of them there to want to leave them in.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:10 PM   #18

Default A re-do of this scene after the first disaster.

I'll try again and see if things have improved a little. Don't really know what happened the first time. Carelessness when pp'ing, maybe? Unforgivable really for not scrutinizing the pic better, befor loading up.

Did 2 versions of it...

Name:  Winter1_0134_35_33_32_21_WEB_Sharp90.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  157.1 KB
# 1 - Sharpish....

Name:  Winter2_0134_35_33_32_21_WEB_Sharp90.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  108.1 KB
# 2 - Less sharpish, kinda Orton'ized it a little.

Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:31 PM   #19

Very nice Walter. You are setting a standard for your photo's. It is always nice to have people with different opinions comment on your work. It keeps you on your toes, so to speak...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:31 PM   #20

I had to go put a sweater on just from looking at that cold scene. Very well done Walter. Makes me glad that Spring is on the way.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote