Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Default My First Photo Critique

Here is my first post in this section... I've had my camera for about a month and a half now and have learned a lot from everyone on this forum. Here is a picture I took when I was just walking around in Taiwan. I really liked the way this abandoned apartment.housing unit looked so I tried to get the best angle to show the emptiness of the apt. I think I did an ok job but would like some feedback from the members of this forum.

Wonger

Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Interesting shot, but your "panoramic" crop is not focusing on the point of interest.

I would definitely crop it tighter...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:50 PM   #3

Really nice subject. I took a stab an an edit. I agree with Chato on a tighter crop and decided to try something more vertical. I also increased the contrast and added some graininess to try to enhance the 'emptiness'...

jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:05 PM   #4

Very nice shot - I just ran it through DPHDR and gave it a bit of unsharpening mask treatment:

Name:  dsc04142_fhdr_pp.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  175.9 KB

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:11 PM   #5

The pick is technically OK. Valuable theme. You can certainly tweak it a little using some pp software like other forumites did.
Here I did three basic changes using a free program (Irfanview):
  • Changed EV, darkening the scene.
  • Added a little contrast.
  • Sharpened just a bit.

About the framing:
  • The white trapezoid up left is so, so. The only way to deal with it is trying some vignetting. I’m out of my main computer now and can’t do it. I cropped some of the left border to my taste.
  • You have a few leaves up right. Very few to give the impression of a different plane.
  • Bottom left there’re some white leaves. They do not add to the photo. I cloned them.
  • The diagonals, texture, bw idea and point of view are nice to my eyes.
I like your pick and encourage to keep trying. I’m sure you’ll give us some nice photos.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:13 PM   #6

I agree that it's a very good subject and a nice picture.

I think cropping improves it, though I prefer that it be entirely from the right - I feel that the leaves on the left make such an effective counterbalance to the window.

Last, I added some cloud to the sky & added a black frame to hide some of my mistakes when I inserted the clouds.
Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:21 PM   #7

The picture attached to my previous post would only display at around 50kb when uploaded to this site. I wonder why? The resolution is so degraded that I'm trying again via another site.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:25 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Herb, anything above ~250kb will automatically be compressed, and compressed severely. so either use an external host for larger pictures, or use slightly more compression until you get it under 250kb.

as for the picture. i think it has some endearing qualities to it. i like Chato's aspect ratio the best, as it feels the most balanced. my biggest distraction was the whiteout sky, which is improved in herb's version. so some combination of those 2 edits would be my preference, that keeps the subject matter front and center.

it could also use a little more contrast. not to the degree of jschoeners though. i may have gone just slightly more than ordo's last edit.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:33 PM   #9

Thanks, Hards, I'm giving it another go -
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

as for the picture. i think it has some endearing qualities to it. i like Chato's aspect ratio the best, as it feels the most balanced. my biggest distraction was the whiteout sky, which is improved in herb's version. so some combination of those 2 edits would be my preference, that keeps the subject matter front and center.
I believe you're correct. I'm sorry I didn't add grain, but those who did, err, overdid it a bit. Ordo's addition of grain seems about right. Herbs last edit adds Too much to the sky. A few whispy clouds would be enough to get rid of the distraction.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote