Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKPUDGIES View Post
adamvk, I think the input about a lower angle is a good one. I guess you need to be a spring trout fisherman to get excited over these shots. The fishing season opens April first around here and seeing the fish on the move from the lake to the streams gets most of us fisherman all worked up.
Thanks,
Mike
Absolutely! I find these shots exciting! I want the Salmon!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:25 PM   #12

Quote:
adamvk, I think the input about a lower angle is a good one. I guess you need to be a spring trout fisherman to get excited over these shots. The fishing season opens April first around here and seeing the fish on the move from the lake to the streams gets most of us fisherman all worked up.
Thanks,
Mike
Exactly. I can respect that. I hate fishing, but for you I'm sure its very interesting. It's all about what you like.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 5:15 PM   #13

A 4x zoom would have given a single great detail shot out of the 1294 attempts
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:35 PM   #14

good light and a greater zoom if you could do it would help make the shot. That fish leaping at a lower angle shot in such a way as to fill the frame and freeze the action, the spray and all would have been fantastic.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:19 AM   #15

I can see the fun in getting the shots of the fish airborne. I think what prevents the shots from exciting non-fisherpersons is that the environment is clearly concrete and manmade. The lack of real turbulence in the water, no rocks mean there's not much in the photo other than the fish and since it's not really a contrasting colour, there isn't as much punch. Perhaps a really tight zoom/crop and playing with colour levels and saturation will place focus on the fish.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:29 AM   #16

Mackpudgies consider yourself lucky. I was thinking of you yesterday afternoon as I waited for a jumping salmon. In half an hour I saw one. It jumped, I took the picture. But it was gone before I could say "Ah, f*@k. Here is the best shot I could get.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:24 AM   #17

Bynx, I feel your pain but it sure beats going to work I do really like the place you have to shoot, it give plenty of contrast and when you do capture your salmon I'm sure it will look great.
Mike
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
A 4x zoom would have given a single great detail shot out of the 1294 attempts
Another approach might be to focus an HD video camera at some arbitrary spot and wait for a fish to fill a frame, then capture it as a still. I wonder if there's a hack to make a still camera take a non stop burst ?
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:18 AM   #19

Quote:
...the best photographers take great pictures because they take lots of pictures and only show off the best...Mike
This is actually what kept me going when I started my photography hobby (and thought my pictures compared to others sucked). I referred to it as the numbers game. I'm glad I was off on the right track.

Great shots! I think you have a better batting average with your salmon shots than I have with people (in interesting poses) in the streets of NY.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote