Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:03 AM   #1

Default Study in Symmetrics

I planned on shooting one thing and ended up shooting these two pictures because of their symmetrical appeal. C & C please.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Posting two photos in the critique section, you should know better LOL

I personally like the first a lot more with the added dimension of the reflection. All in all the first shot makes something ordinary and boring pretty interesting and artistic. It looks a little flat so probably a boost in the contrast would help.

As for the 2nd you are not quite central so a step to the left would have helped.... oh hindsight..... and in general this shot just doesn't appeal to me as much.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Because both images take advantage of "vanishing point," you have safely violated the rule...

Image one should be darker (WEB change?) and the foreground is so noisy as to annoy the eye, and interfere with viewing.

Image two, has to much concrete on top, and should be cropped in a different manner.

I ran image one through PS to prepare it for the WEB, and also ran Noise Ninja, but only on the bottom half of the image:

Overall, I like both images. Very interesting!

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Mar 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:45 AM   #4

My bad Mark. But since both pics were on symmetrical theme I thought Id sneek one extra one in. Cant get by you though. And I agree with you about the appeal. Actually I dont really like either one but being there it was really impressive with the symmetry and massive sizes of all that concrete. I suppose the first could be darker, but to be honest, this was the way it was lit. The sun was getting low and was actually shining down and bouncing light from a creek under the bridge. You did a good job on the water Dave. I have to look into this preparing for Web. Ive never used it before. Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:31 AM   #5

Do you even need the water on the first shot? To me, the shot is about the concrete monotony offset by the green graffiti. - Crop, clone and a bit of saturation on the graffiti.
Attached Images

KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:20 AM   #6

I really like your fist one and Dave's edited version, but Kevin's try is my favourite of the batch

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLF View Post
Do you even need the water on the first shot? To me, the shot is about the concrete monotony offset by the green graffiti. - Crop, clone and a bit of saturation on the graffiti.
Youre absolutely right Kevin. I just thought the water reflecting more symmetry was a bonus. But I agree, its about the concrete. Thanks. I like your edit.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:02 AM   #8

Well Bynx - I think Kevin made the best out of this shot. The gravel and the water beneath only led the eye astray. Now, as it is, we are more concentrated on the comcrete-square - which is the actual content.

Nice shot with an out-of-the ordinary thinking to it.

:-))

Well done edit, Kevin!
:-)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote