Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1

Default Should I give up or keep trying?

I'm a bit frustrated, but I'm not sure if the frustration is due to the limitations of my lens (it's quite soft), the shutter speeds I'm ending up using, or the fact I'm not enamored with this technique. I often love other people's shots but not my own and I can't get a handle on what it is that I'm not happy about with my own. This was the best one I managed for one lunch-time, but I'm not entirely sure I like it. So I was wondering what anyone else thought of it.

I'm wondering if a better lens would help or not - the other shots were too soft for me bother keeping. Shutter speed was .5 sec. at f5 (which, at 18 mm is stopped down a bit, probably should have raised the ISO and stopped down the lens more, and I just noticed that I need to change the time on this camera to daylight savings, not that it would make a difference), using an R72 filter (reason for slow shutter speed at noon). I'm starting to think that I just don't have the right feel for this type of photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:54 AM   #2

The shot has some kind of attraction to me mite it be that it would make a good pattern for some wall paper I am thinking I find them very different for sure...... Keep trying you will feel some thing soon I am sure...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:32 AM   #3

Not being a lover of this type of photography I can only say at times it looks very nice but not my cup of tea. On the matter of your giving it up. Well, if you are going to base your decision on the advice of a few people that arent any better than you and who you dont know at all then its probably time to give it up. If it were me, Id just ask myself if I was having fun or not.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:17 AM   #4

I think it is important for anyone involved in photography to develop his/her own style. Often a person has to decide what route to take in photography and stick with that. When the path has been chosen it becomes easier because your desire for improvement and your equipment is basically dedicated to one specific area. There are great landscape, street, city, model, and wedding photographers (just to name a few). All of them will try different things, but they do not venture to far off the beaten path. When you try something new you cannot expect immediate results. There is always a learning curve...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:25 AM   #5

I agree with Bynx. Are you having fun or not is the basic question you have to ask yourself.
Or do you have a desire to meet the challenge of mastering a different type of photography?

It's really up to you to decide.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:49 AM   #6

It was probably more the challenge of trying a new type of photography, something that I sometimes admire that got me trying this. I'm just not finding it as rewarding as the other areas of photography I've tried mostly because I've been getting so few decent pictures. As all of you have very nicely pointed out, photography is supposed to be fun. I love a challenge and trying new areas in photography has always taught me something and made me a better photographer. But I'm used to developing a competency, where I've been feeling more frustrated with this. It's been hit-or-miss, partly because of the lens (perhaps), partly because it's not always obvious to me what will be a suitable subject, and partly because I still haven't sorted out a good post-processing starting point (though I'm getting a bit closer with that). Much (most?) of digital IR success seems to depend on processing.

I probably should spend a week really working at it, rather than playing around with it intermittently. By that time I should know whether it's just too much bother for me or whether I'll enjoy it.

I must say that sometimes I find that adding capability and extra items/complexity can be either really cool or too much bother.

In any case, so far Bynx has been the only one to say what he thinks about the picture itself (thank you Bynx!), and I'd really like some feed-back on it. This one is one of the few I've rather liked, and want to know what others think about it.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:46 AM   #7

Mtngal Im sure I have some info here on IR photography. Id be happy to send it to you if you want to pursue it further.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 2:56 PM   #8

FWIW; Here is an article on IR photography with references to a number of comprehensive sites dealing with the subject.

You, no doubt, have already researched the subject. But, perhaps there may be information that provides answers that shorten the learning curve..

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:12 PM   #9

Thanks for the offer - I would like any links or information. I have done some research before I bought the filter, but feel like there's something I'm missing about it all.

I'm really not sure how much I want to pursue it further. At the moment I know that I don't want to spend any more money on it that would be dedicated to just IR (I am going to replace my kit lens, but for other reasons and I'm not going to let the diameter of my R72 filter dictate which of the many options I'll get).
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:27 PM   #10
NLA

Mntgal,

Personally, I like this shot. I couldn't share any pertinent info, with you, on IR photography - because I just claim knowledge of it to any degree. But, again, I DO like this shot. The only thing is that I find two distracting elements within the photo: one, is the isolated branch near the upper-left corner of the photo, and the other is the tuft of foliage just above the right-side body of the subject. It is to those two areas that my eyes want to be drawn to, when I look at the picture.

Yes, the key things to consider are whether you are indeed having fun with what you are doing, and whether YOU like the outcome of the results.

This would be a keeper for me - if "I" had shot it .