Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:38 AM   #1

Default They were here

willow37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:31 PM   #2

It seems no one wants to critique this photo, that is not a good sign. People tend to shy away from making negative comments. It is a lot easier to nit pick a decent photo vs a bad one. If you are bold enough to venture in here, then I will be honest and sincere about the positives and negatives of your photo. This is the only way that you can improve.

This picture is more of a snap shot then a photograph. I was there type of shot. Nothing more or nothing less. The pile of rocks seems to be your main subject and it does not hold my interest. I find more interesting photos in the background then this pile of rocks. Maybe it is a landmark of a famous battle or something, but the way it is presented has little value for the viewer. Sorry....

Next time please provide some input on the photograph. What was the reason for taking the picture? What were you trying to capture. Any type of communication is better then nothing. We are here to help and share our knowledge, but it takes a little more then just posting a picture. Have a good day...

Last edited by Ancientritual; Mar 31, 2010 at 1:10 AM.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:41 PM   #3

This is an Inukshuk, I guess only canadians are aware of what it is. It is something the Inuit do and have done for centuries, they are a message that their people were there. Sorry that it failed to stimulate anyone. It was my first try at an HDR photo.

Thank for the comments though
willow37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 8:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow37 View Post
This is an Inukshuk, I guess only canadians are aware of what it is. It is something the Inuit do and have done for centuries, they are a message that their people were there. Sorry that it failed to stimulate anyone. It was my first try at an HDR photo.

Thank for the comments though
For a first try at HDR it is not bad. You have detail in the highlights and the color is not saturated. Nice job. Keep trying!
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:48 PM   #5

As an HDR first try, it's quite good. You might want to crop a bit off the bottom - you can see where the frames didn't quite match up and there's a bit of a strip that's lighter than the rest.

I had been thinking that there was nothing wrong with the picture technically, exposure and focus look good. The HDR processing is done well enough you aren't aware of it (that's a compliment by the way) - something I prefer with my own pictures.

Once you added the explanation your subject became more interesting, though it's still not compelling. I wonder if using a smaller dof would help, so the background would be less in-focus? It seems like the shadows on the snow and the almost in focus woods in the background grab my attention too much and distract from really looking at the rocks, and contemplating who put them in this configuration (which I assume is what you were trying to convey?). Otherwise, I can't think of other things to do that would make the shot more compelling - perhaps others who are better at composition could come up with something I haven't thought of.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote