Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I like both versions. I like first of all the mood it conveys. I feel like watching a medival masterpice of Remrand or his likes. Golden, warm, with friendly and deep colors. A feast for the eye! So much to look at and such fine movements in the different parts of the picture.

It could almost be abstract art, but it's not when you look closely. Beautiful details in the bannisters, the studs and the underside of this staircase.

Incredible and something you can be proud of, AR!

One day I want to bee as good as you are now...
Thank you Walter S for your kind and humble words. I really like shooting cityscapes. I live only 15 miles from St. louis, so basically all I have to do is look north and see what the weather is like over the city. Landscapes is a different story. I have to put to much faith in the weather reports and drive 90 miles to find adequate landscape material.

After all Walter you have set the bar high with your incredible landscapes.

Maybe one day I will get back into landscapes. Until then I enjoy looking at yours....

Steve
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I prefer the 2nd image as the framing allows for my eye to follow the continuation of the stairway around and up. With the 1st one, that section was cut off making it hard to discern just what I was looking at.

I also prefer the exposure of the 2nd image.

I very much like to see old architecture and there was enough visual interest in the stairway to make me want to try and figure out what I was actually looking at.

IMHO, A very good image and one worthy of display.

Zig
Thank you Zig for taking your time to comment. I changed cameras between the 1st version and the 2nd version. However, I did not correct the HDR settings from the first to the second. You can see the WB behavior between the two cameras. Will have to correct the second photo, it is a tad to warm...
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:57 AM   #13

This is one of those pictures that will polarize people, I suspect. You'll either like it or hate it, there won't be any neutral feelings for it. In some ways I can't decide about the first one you posted. I love the abstract feeling for it, the colors are pleasing to me and there's a lot of beautiful detail with the wood-work. But it's very abstract and after looking at it for a while I found that vaguely disturbing for some reason. The second one is still abstract, but for some reason less disturbing (don't know why, that is an emotional response rather than a logical one). I like both of them but think the second one the more pleasing one. As far as the WB - it's a small difference (and yes, I do prefer the first one, I had noticed it when I first saw the second picture but didn't think the difference detracted from the second one at all).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
This is one of those pictures that will polarize people, I suspect. You'll either like it or hate it, there won't be any neutral feelings for it. In some ways I can't decide about the first one you posted. I love the abstract feeling for it, the colors are pleasing to me and there's a lot of beautiful detail with the wood-work. But it's very abstract and after looking at it for a while I found that vaguely disturbing for some reason. The second one is still abstract, but for some reason less disturbing (don't know why, that is an emotional response rather than a logical one). I like both of them but think the second one the more pleasing one. As far as the WB - it's a small difference (and yes, I do prefer the first one, I had noticed it when I first saw the second picture but didn't think the difference detracted from the second one at all).
Thank you mtngal for your comment. I know the photo's tend to favor the art side of things . That is just my nature, thus they will be hit or miss. I do tend to balance out my portfolio though with photos that people can identify with...
Old Apr 2, 2010, 3:24 PM   #15

Acient! Love your eye for design! Excellent photo! Thanks.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Acient! Love your eye for design! Excellent photo! Thanks.
Thanks for your kind comment Eetu. I love art and designs. I think that reflects in my photos. We all march to the beat of a different drummer. However, my drummer at times likes to take a walk on the wild side of things...

Last edited by Ancientritual; Apr 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:30 AM   #17

i have been going back and fourth from this thread i cant really make my mind up ,,, of the two images posted the second is the best but i think i would have rather seen the top of the stairs (footwells?) leading up and round rather than the underneath but then on the other hand ive never viewed a staircase from this angle? im still on the bench with this one
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Before I do any final tweaking on this photograph
Perhaps an original untouched photo with exif should be submitted along with HDR attempts
this would give us some idea as to the merit of the subject mater and camera exposure before HDR.

It took my eyes little while to determine what I was looking at, matching colours
and shapes I thought.... and maybe the wrong thread I had selected
I thought I had clicked on the diagonal biweekly shootout by mistake

and there was no totem pole in this stairwell so no puzzle about that.

Marks out of 5 for photo/subject mater... I give it one mark,.... for artistic endeavor/license/artwork ....I give it four out of five
I deducted a mark for no framing/presentation of the photo.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i have been going back and fourth from this thread i cant really make my mind up ,,, of the two images posted the second is the best but i think i would have rather seen the top of the stairs (footwells?) leading up and round rather than the underneath but then on the other hand ive never viewed a staircase from this angle? im still on the bench with this one
It would have been a lot easier to photograph these stairs looking down, but then that has been done before. My neck is still hurting from all that looking up and the body position that I was in. Thank you for your comment simple...
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
Perhaps an original untouched photo with exif should be submitted along with HDR attempts
this would give us some idea as to the merit of the subject mater and camera exposure before HDR.

It took my eyes little while to determine what I was looking at, matching colours
and shapes I thought.... and maybe the wrong thread I had selected
I thought I had clicked on the diagonal biweekly shootout by mistake

and there was no totem pole in this stairwell so no puzzle about that.

Marks out of 5 for photo/subject mater... I give it one mark,.... for artistic endeavor/license/artwork ....I give it four out of five
I deducted a mark for no framing/presentation of the photo.
I have included the original 2 untouched JPEGS per request. None of my photos that I submitted to this site are finished or final versions. This is done for a number of reasons. Thank you for your comment musket...
Attached Images