Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie haskell View Post
I'm sorta waiting for Rodger Rabbit to pop upon the scene, it has a cartoonish look about it.
Thanks, Eddie . Yes it does, doesn't it?
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
VV the Auto show starts today and runs till next sunday if you are looking for something different to shoot.
Thanks, shoturtle. I have not tried shooting at shows or exhibits. I may be wrong, but wouldn't it be hard to isolate the subject (a car, for example) and not include other photographers and onlookers from the shot? The indoor lighting, on the other hand, might be the kind of lighting I like to shoot. Anyone with tips?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:11 PM   #13

Interesting steps. The last one doesn't look as over-sharpened, it's much better. I rather like the darker, high contrast look. The only thing you'll need to sometimes watch out for is that when you darken something using levels or curves, you also increase the saturation. It looks good with this scene (my opinion) even though it doesn't necessarily look "real". The motion blur for the taxi is one way of dealing with the ghosting - I never would have thought of it. Normally what I do is take one of the middle exposures and cut and paste the sharp object and a bit more over the ghosted one, then adjust the tone on that layer, to match it to the HDR version. I'll keep your motion blur solution in mind - it would be much easier and would work well in many situations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:28 PM   #14

Thanks a lot, mtngal! I'm glad I contributed something.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, shoturtle. I have not tried shooting at shows or exhibits. I may be wrong, but wouldn't it be hard to isolate the subject (a car, for example) and not include other photographers and onlookers from the shot? The indoor lighting, on the other hand, might be the kind of lighting I like to shoot. Anyone with tips?
Well I suggest getting there early on sunday when everyone is at the parade, that way you have some working room. With the lighting. Bring your metz and a defuser, or a fast prime.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:53 AM   #16

Just looking at the original HDR out of Photomatix. Curious to find out what your Gama and white level is set at. With results that you achieve in your photos, you are far from being a hack. In fact your HDR work is excellent. The word hack applies to some of the HDR work you see over in Flickr..
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:24 AM   #17

thanks for the walk through , the last image is spot on
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:44 AM   #18

Thank's a lot for your explanations vv! I really prefer #6 over #1 - the trees above the street look way better imo

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:26 AM   #19

Great explanations of what you've done and why. My personal preference is #4 or 5 as a close second. The rest are just so so or no no.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
Just looking at the original HDR out of Photomatix. Curious to find out what your Gama and white level is set at. With results that you achieve in your photos, you are far from being a hack. In fact your HDR work is excellent. The word hack applies to some of the HDR work you see over in Flickr..
Thanks, Ancientritual, for your very kind words .

Regarding Gamma and white level, I simply used Photomatix's "painterly" preset tone map. I just checked -- the values for "painterly" are White Point = 0.250% and Gamma = 0.93.