Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Spring in Hell's Kitchen

I really thought the kind of black found in digitalpimp's photos here was only possible on OLED screens. So now I have a new bar to reach. You can say this is my first shot at it. Please feel free to judge. Thank you for looking!

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:34 PM   #2

Wow, how did you do this. Neat photo!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3

HDR image really does a number on leaves. I cant focus my eyes on them. Its 3 bracket shots isnt it? Probably better if you'd done one good Raw file. Then the taxi would be sharp.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:44 PM   #4

I like it. In my humble opinion I think the contrast setting is a little to high...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 2:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
... I cant focus my eyes on them...
I think this is a clear example of over-sharpening. Too much sharpening on foilage and indeed even bare twigs against a blue sky, will make your eyes dance the jitterbug....!

But, I like the dense colors in the pic. There is something bold over this picture...
:-)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 2:32 PM   #6

I really like the overall look of this shot.... how did you achieve that special look? But I have to agree with Walter and the others - you sharpened a bit to much... foliage is always a problem...

And the taxi... I don't know... but to avoid that movement you have to work with a RAW file, don't know if you want to do that

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
And the taxi... I don't know... but to avoid that movement you have to work with a RAW file, don't know if you want to do that
Yes, the taxi looks like a blur of 3 images, looking at the red spots.
Overall its over unsharpened or over local contrasted and over saturated.
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 6:08 PM   #8

VV the Auto show starts today and runs till next sunday if you are looking for something different to shoot.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #9

I'm sorta waiting for Rodger Rabbit to pop upon the scene, it has a cartoonish look about it.
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 10:59 PM   #10

Thank you, all, for taking the time to comment.

Bynx, I ordered a 233X Compactflash memory from Amazon some time ago and it finally shipped. I have other reasons (besides stubborness ) for not not shooting raw but we'll see if a faster memory would finally change my habit.

I used Photomatix and think it actually works better with leaves and branches compared to DPHDR. I have my own thoughts about edits I make but don't state them here so as not to "lead" (or mislead) potential critics. The leaves looking somewhat not right is one of them.

I agree about over-sharpening. I have reasons for oversharpening my edits one of which is for 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 resolutions which I use for my wallpapers, I think they look fine, but not for 1024x681 which I upload here. I'll try to lower my sharpening in the future.

(Another reason is just personal preference which I admit is off at times. I slide the sharpen control back and forth and can't get my heart to commit to the less sharpened version once I see the higher sharpened one. If anyone actually likes the "oversharpened" versions, I'd appreciate knowing, too, so at least I know I'm not alone.)

Regarding the taxi, since no one mentioned this I think another option would be to wait for traffic to clear. This is what I was doing while aiming this shot but then thought the speeding taxi might add interest so I pulled the trigger (in a manner of speaking...).

I think I carried my habit of over-saturating, over-contrasting, over-sharpening, etc. from my days of learning desktop publishing some 20+ years ago. During post-processing a pic, what basically happens is I would slide the controls until I see what to me looks good and maybe I should stop right there. But instead I slide the controls some more just to see what I might be missing. When that happens my aesthetic recognition (assuming I had any) goes out of whack and so I end up over-processing. I'll have to learn to step away or look out the window then look again to see if my last change actually made improvements.

In any case, I tried to follow everything you all said and re-did my edit. For Ned and maggo85, I also explain the steps I took. I hope they're somewhat clear. However, they are by no means textbook stuff. If it isn't yet obvious by now, I'm just a hack .

#2. Original Photomatix "painterly" output.

#3. "Motion blur" used on taxi and horizon leveled. I actually used motion blur on the original pic. This time, I increased the blur.

#4. Adjust lighting, set "Levels" to about 0.40 (from 1.00) to increase contrast. My aim is achieve contrast similar to digitalpimp's pics.

#5. Used PSE7's auto-sharpen. I don't normally use "auto" functions -- I think I got the habit from my IT experience where we install software always using "custom" settings to see exactly what is being done. But this time I think PSE7's auto-sharpen actually works fine if not great.

#6. Where I started getting "creative" in hopes of imitating photoimp's style -- basically darkened the area around the bright street scene framed by the trees. I used the elliptical selection tool and selected a large area under the trees (including some of the trees) then feathered the selection to 50 and lowered "Levels" under "Adjust Lighting" (same process as in #4 above).
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote