Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:07 AM   #1

Default Macro Flower

Hi all. Please tell me what you think of this photo, and what could be done to make it better. I'm amazed at the skill of the "eyes" on this forum. Taking a photo that I think looks pretty good and pointing out stuff most people would never see, and ways it could be done better. Most family and friends just say "oh, neat picture". I really respect the voices on here.

Basically, I'm really trying to train my eye to recognize what makes a good picture into a GREAT picture - to understand composition better. I read threads on this forum like it was the bible, and I'm trying to apply things that I read when I head out with my camera. I've probably taken 1,000,000 snapshots in my life all over the world, but I'm trying to get a little more serious about taking lasting images, now that I've finally got some decent equipment. Thanks in advance.

*Very light "levels" adjustment in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Pure Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:22 AM   #2

The center of that flower is definately the focus. Looks like looking on a sun that was just about out. I just wish the petals of the flower were all in focus. Good bokah.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:50 AM   #3

Thanks, I'm really trying to figure out focus depth, and what is most generally appealing. For reference, it was taken with a Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4

+1 with Bynx. More sharpness would add to the pick.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 1:24 PM   #5

I see what you guys are saying. I'm heading back up to that park in about a month. They have a butterfly exhibit all summer, and I'm really excited to shoot it, and I want to go armed with some new ideas.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:20 PM   #6

yeah strange whats in focous as you have the right hand side in both corners sharp too
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:52 PM   #7

The OOF petals, and the in focus leaves external to the flower tend to be distracting from the primary subject.
Depth of field in macro photos is very limited, and using large apertures is really not the best idea unless everything is in the same plane. I would suggest re-trying at something like f/8 or f/11 to get more of the flower in focus, and possibly reframing to keep the in-focus leaves to one side or the other.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8

Completely agree with the others - use a smaller aperture like f11. If you are using a macro lens, consider shooting with an even smaller aperture if you get closer. If you can't get the extra leaves out of the frame when you are shooting it, consider cropping the photo, too, to remove the distracting elements.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:30 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is exactly the kind of responses I'd hoped for. Little things like that which I just don't really think about.

Next time I go out, I'm also bringing along an AF Micro 105mm, and I'm going to really play with the camera settings, as well as body positioning and camera distance to try and get better depth and framing. I really love taking this type of picture (as I'm sure most people do!) because you see incredible things that you'd never see with the naked eye. Thanks again!