Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:39 AM   #11

from what i have seen that kind of stuff should be easily done in PS CS5. cant remember the name of the tool though, but it appears to be very easy to get rid of stuff now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Man .......I love it when I open up a photo and the quality and mood of the image instantly sets me back! One can look upon this image for a very long time and feel the tranquil mood you were going for in taking the photo and pp afterwards. As a whole, the image is stunning.

Thinking critically now....some halo artifacts surround the rock edges on the left. If your going for a minimalist look, is there any way to loose the the rocks and cliffs in the background by moving, leaving only the one set of foreground rocks? Give it a go and see what you get. Think "less is best" here and I think you will strike gold.

Kevin
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy View Post
Man .......I love it when I open up a photo and the quality and mood of the image instantly sets me back! One can look upon this image for a very long time and feel the tranquil mood you were going for in taking the photo and pp afterwards. As a whole, the image is stunning.

Thinking critically now....some halo artifacts surround the rock edges on the left. If your going for a minimalist look, is there any way to loose the the rocks and cliffs in the background by moving, leaving only the one set of foreground rocks? Give it a go and see what you get. Think "less is best" here and I think you will strike gold.

Kevin
Swell, just adding fuel to the fire here. Now Dustin will milk this area for all that it is worth . Come on people put on the war paint, start beating those war drums. This is after all a critique forum. All this praise, and some solid advice will only create more great photos with bad titles .
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:33 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Kevin - thanks for some more solid suggestions. i was going to go a little later with some longer exposures, but i had accidently got covered in very cold lake water and was just getting too damn cold. ? did try a little lighting with an LED, but i was not getting consistant results. how do you get the painting even?

Ronin- thank you again for the kind remaks, i will see what i can do about finding clouds with puppies or something.

Ancient - LOL, what is wrong with my titles!???
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:50 PM   #14

Ancient - LOL, what is wrong with my titles!???

I have been reduced to finding fault with titles vs your photographs. Tranquility-Boring. Take a look over there in flickr world and see how many photos are entitled Tranquility. Painterly Smooth, thought it was going to be a photo of a race horse in the Kentucky Derby. Just Kidding...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:35 PM   #15

Excellent but this is a case that could accept straightening the horizon on the left.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:03 PM   #16
spy

Dustin, the best way for getting "light painting" even is to first see how the light looks in one area during the one exposure until it looks right to you. Once you get that look, then move on to the next area .....and keep repeating it. Once you have a few images and what lighting you want to do is done, then stack them together and all the lighting will blend together. Have you tried this technique and do you use CS3/4? Stacking is easy in this program.

You will recall these photos posted back in late October last year, http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...-painting.html
the photo on top was light painted with one single LED book light all the while running around in the frame waring dark clothes. The exposure bar set left of centre in order to keep darks, DARK so I wasn't being picked up on the sensor. The ISO's were set to 200 so as to pick up more of the highlights. If your going to run around on the rocks, i'll be less nervous for you if you bring someone with you and if you fall all over the place and end up in the drink you at least work with the right kind of people that will be sympathetic to your cause and will want to take good care of you. ;0)

Last edited by spy; Apr 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:53 PM   #17

I have to learn how to make these subtle shots. There's less to look at yet somehow more to see.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:59 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Kevin, thanks for the pointers. the problem was i was not focus stacking, i was trying to paint a single photo, which it was just not possible to get even enough to look natural. i think i will have to go further outside the city too for the extra long exposures, the ambient light from the city gave shots over 30 seconds an unnatural and oddly colored glow. but i know a few areas i want to check out further west, so i will try some 60-80s exposures. and yes, i can stack them in cs4, i just hadnt thought to do it.

Vvcarpio - i am glad you enjoy the minimalist compositions. i really enjoy these simple compositions.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:56 AM   #19

A neat picture, but what makes me very glad I stopped by is Kevin's tips for light painting. I want to try this out but had no clue how to even start - thank you for giving me some ideas to try.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote