Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

Longside, while your work is always quite brilliant, I really feel you have fallen some here. The concept is excellent, but the execution dismal. The condition of the hand is just as important as that the the girl in the globe. It would have been quite simple to make that hand look dirty, I mean really dirty, and not just dusty that transfers to the white porcelain. The hand represents the dark side of the picture and the more natural it looks the more impact it has on the image. Spending a couple of minutes to give the hand a really grimy look would make a world of difference in my opinion.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:55 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Matt, yet again, like the hand offering the globe, you've submitted an image; a provocative one I'd even say, which makes one consider if every image is indeed an icon...
My humble suggestion would be to make the globe the source of light (the hand will ultimately grab the attention after all...) with light rendering and even adding some background sparkle perhaps, somewhat obscuring (as well as mystifying) the hand, which I presume that of the artist who created it.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:00 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default Kudos

longside1,

It stands on its own as is. Good work here.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:14 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
longside1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Longside, while your work is always quite brilliant, I really feel you have fallen some here. The concept is excellent, but the execution dismal. The condition of the hand is just as important as that the the girl in the globe. It would have been quite simple to make that hand look dirty, I mean really dirty, and not just dusty that transfers to the white porcelain. The hand represents the dark side of the picture and the more natural it looks the more impact it has on the image. Spending a couple of minutes to give the hand a really grimy look would make a world of difference in my opinion.
Bynx, whilst I appreciate your comments, I think it a little harsh to say the execution is 'dismal'!

I did try and use 'normal' dirt from the garden, however this quickly dried leaving the hand a dirty, albeit faded brown colour which didn't have the contrast which I required.

The 'dirt' I opted for isn't soot, but actually black face paint, mixed in with a touch of oil and grime.

Whilst I value your contribution, I am struggling to understand the significance of what type of dirt should have been used. At the day i wanted the hand to look grungy and i am satisfied that i have done this. It is also worth rembering that mud / soot / dirt / oil / face paint sticks. So transfer to the globe would have been inevitable.

@ Bahadir, a very good suggestion and one that I may employ. The only difficulty i may have is that I maximised the whites in the shot to boost contrast. If I render the globe as a light source it may end up with blown highlights which I would prefer to avoid.

Still, an excellent idea...if only I had spoken to you before processing this image!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:55 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,193
Default

try hdr ..... dont know if it will help or not do a quick test crab the globe and crack 3 shots off
__________________
Nikon D600 / Nikon 50 1.8 G / Nikon 85 1.8 G Always wanting more! MY FLICKR
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:33 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
longside1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
try hdr ..... dont know if it will help or not do a quick test crab the globe and crack 3 shots off
Hi Simple, that is a good suggestion, although I think I have an easier work around:

I have the original photoshop layer saved as a 'smart object' which enables me to re-open the original RAW file and re-edit it in ACR. The original RAW should have dufficient tonal range for me to reduce the exposure.

This is a great technique that I learned, and is acheived by simply holding down the shift key in ACR when clicking 'open'. This opens your RAW file as a smart object.

One tip though, if you have a tendancy to duplicate your base layer in photoshop, if it is a smart object make sure you click 'new smart object via copy'. If you undertake a simple 'duplicate' then edits to one smart object will be automatically applied to the duplicated layer.
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:04 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,193
Default

i downloaded your image and run it through topaz detail and adjust .... just by selecting the hand or globe you can get some great results .... well in my eyes anyway LOL but i know you will be on top off it longside as i know your a dab hand in pp
__________________
Nikon D600 / Nikon 50 1.8 G / Nikon 85 1.8 G Always wanting more! MY FLICKR
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:06 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,585
Default

I think the hand is as important as the globe and its contents. Some dirty motor oil, mixed with some black grease and wiped off would give a more natural dirty evil look. Ive never had any problems with your work before but the phony looking hand is so bad I cant imagine it coming from you. Can you imagine one of the hands below holding that globe? One thing about me Longside is, I never blow smoke and call em like I see em. I dont think my critique is harsh. Im sorry you cant take criticism. We all goof up. Even you. And its only my opinion. It seems others who have had something to say dont seem to care about the reality of your work, but more your name on the photo.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Bynx; Apr 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:01 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
. @ Bahadir, a very good suggestion and one that I may employ. The only difficulty i may have is that I maximised the whites in the shot to boost contrast. If I render the globe as a light source it may end up with blown highlights which I would prefer to avoid.

Still, an excellent idea...if only I had spoken to you before processing this image!
Glad it worked for you! To me, this is how the idea is conveyed more efficiently, well, at least, the way I got it...As for the application, I'm aware of the difficultity you've mentioned since I tried it before suggesting ; ) Yet, nothing to worry much imo, when you select (or secure!) the 'fairy-like girls' within the globe for a different processing (than the omni light rendering). As for the bottom of the globe, which is prone to overexposure as result of the new light source, a little use of burn tool does work... Ahh, don't make me explain such stuff any further to someone whose pp skills are simply amazing

Last edited by bahadir; Apr 20, 2010 at 4:07 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:22 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
longside1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I think the hand is as important as the globe and its contents. Some dirty motor oil, mixed with some black grease and wiped off would give a more natural dirty evil look. Ive never had any problems with your work before but the phony looking hand is so bad I cant imagine it coming from you. Can you imagine one of the hands below holding that globe? One thing about me Longside is, I never blow smoke and call em like I see em. I dont think my critique is harsh. Im sorry you cant take criticism. We all goof up. Even you. And its only my opinion. It seems others who have had something to say dont seem to care about the reality of your work, but more your name on the photo.
Hi Bynx, I appreciate your direct comments when they assist with a critique. Calling people's work / efforts dismal is not constructive and goes against the grain of this forum.

That said, your photographic example of grungey hands is great and I can see now exactly your points. Like you I 'call em how I see em', and therefore I have no problem confirming that i prefer 'my' dirty hands compared to the ones you provided. More importantly, the client is ecstatic with the shot.

Also, I would be careful of being so dismissive of the opinions of your peers on this forum. At the end of the day art is a subjective issue and there is no pleasing everybody, with this shot being a good example (much to my delight).

@Bahadir, no problem friend, when I get home this evening I will upload the final version of the shot. In the end I simply opted for boosting the contrast of the cherubs in the globe to give them more clarity.

Inicidentally, how is the thesis comingt along?
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.