Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Default The wifes weiner (dog)

This is Jack. I shot this image shortly after I had purchased a P20 zoom flash for my Kodak P880. This was one of my early attempts at shooting in the manual mode. The original image is much larger than forum rules allow so it has been re-sized using Infranview with no editing of any kind.

I look forward to comments and suggestions
Attached Images

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:54 PM   #2

Technically, the picture is fine, but the dog has absolutely no expression making it non-descript.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:45 PM   #3

Well... i love the expression (he/she's so cute) but not so much the crop and the eye's reflections.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4

I would like to see less open space on the left side, and (if you are going to include that much of the dog), the rest of the dog's body. Or else make it a portrait and offer less of the body. It's sort-of awkward the way it is now.

The flash looks a bit brighter than I'd probably want it. It's not horrible like many flash pictures but you might want to try putting something over the flash to diffuse the light a bit. I use a coffee filter if you don't want to cut up a rubbing alcohol bottle. Most of my stuff is available light, so hopefully someone who's better at this type of thing will come along with more/better suggestions.

I'm not really crazy about the color of the towel you used for the background. But I can't decide what would be better - perhaps others who shoot more studio type of stuff can give you some ideas. One thing that might help is if you could separate the dog from the background more - with the P880 you have a pretty big depth of field and it would be better if the towel weren't quite so sharp, or if you used something with less texture.

My guess is that's a puppy, there's a definite puppyish look (but some dogs seem to keep that look into adulthood, too). The fur comes across very well - I almost reach out and feel the softness.

These are just the opinion of someone who does mostly macro and landscapes, so take them for what they are - suggestions of things you can try (things that I would probably try next time) and see if they might help/make a better picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:56 AM   #5

if you would have stepped maybe a foot back you would have got the dogs paw and behind in as it is your first go at manual mode i think you did rather well , some good advice above

just for fun .... maybe a bit too heavy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:59 AM   #6

I appreciate the comments.

Jack was not quite eleven weeks in this shot. The framing was not what I had hoped for as the little turd was not big on posing. This was the second shot of two, the first being him asleep on his back. The flash from the first shot startled him and this one is right after he flipped over and still getting his bearings. I was trying for a tighter shot of his head and shoulders.

I could re-crop the original to do just a head and shoulders. I did not think about cropping as if a portrait

The background was a blanket on the daybed in my office and is no longer with us.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:02 AM   #7

Here is the same image cropped a bit. I do not have any real photo editing capability at this time but am researching the various options.

Mtngal I agree with you in regards to the flash but must admit it did not look as dramatic before you mentioned it. How would one go about correcting this? I could see airbrushing some color to dim down the reflections and shine spots but would the definition match the rest of his coat?

Not to turn this into a software post but wouldn't a proper editing suite also let me airbrush a bit of neutral color to make the background look less like a Blue blanket and more like a backdrop and knock down the definition?

Thank you for your input

Steve
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Want some REAL advice?

Send the dog back.

We've had dogs all of our life. I've never met a sneakier breed than the dachshund.

It took 4 years to house break him. And we still have problems getting him to go potty outdoors in the winter. He finds out of the way places to pee indoors. He feigns a limp when he's caught doing wrong.

He's now 12 years old and am more than ready for him to move on to that great bone yard in the sky. Why is he still with us? He was with us long enough for my two children to fall in love with him.

I know the dachshund lovers are going to come after me on this, but I'm standing my ground. Our dog has a pedigree a mile long and I'm sure we overpaid for him.

Keep the photo, lose the dog.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:39 PM   #9

here is my take on your picture. Croped, softened the background with a slight color change. I also cloned out some of the blownout fur areas from the flash.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Apr 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:12 PM   #10

ewheeler20, I like what you were able to do with his fur. What did you use to get these results?

Steve