Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:43 PM   #1

Default First b/w portrait attempt!

Here is my first black and white portrait attempt. Please tell me how I can improve. Iīm all new to both portrait shooting and editing.
The model is my father.
Best regards/Daniel

DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:44 PM   #2

i'm gonna take a first stab at this, but please know that I hardly know what I am talking about.
I see a lot of noise and you apparently used ISO 800. if possible I would dial the ISO down to cut down on the noise.
Also, and this is just my personal preference, I like higher contrast in BW shots.

Again, please take this with a grain of salt as i have just started playing with photography about 2 months ago.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:48 PM   #3

I already made a comment then I now see I forgot to click the reply button. So I will do it again. I think your photo is spot on. Any noise that is visible is where it should be, in the background. My only concern is the shadow on the left. Its not necessary and easily removed. Your exposure is just right. I really like this shot and Im sure your father is pretty satisfied with it too.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:03 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I have no issue in noise in this sort of shot, and even if it was shot at ISO 100, adding some noise to simulate film grain can work really well. The lighting is good, it is just the shadow/dark area on the shoulder that is distracting from this otherwise lovely shot.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:09 PM   #5

Thanks for your input guys.
The original picture doesnīt have much grain. But when I did the editing I actually increased the contrast as much as I could. So I think thereīs were the noise is coming from. But I liked it that way.

Bynx, I also saw the shadows, and would like to get rid of them. But since Iīm new to editing, I donīt know how. I use photoshop CS4 extended, so if you know how to remove the shadow please let me know. Or could I just crop the picture a little tighter in the back to get rid of them?

Best regards/Daniel

PS. My father hasnīt seen the picture yet. But I hope he will like it.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:10 PM   #6

Thanks Mark:-)

Bet regards/Daniel
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:16 PM   #7

Pick is easily denoised (Neat Image) and the shadow cloned. Nice portrait!

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:19 PM   #8

Thanks Ordo, but I kind of like my shot. I like the noise. And I kind of want heīs face to look the way it does in realitey. But I would shure know how you got rid of the shadow. It is a shadow on the other shoulder I would like to get rid of too.
Best regards/Daniel
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:33 PM   #9

bynx and Mark, why is noice in a shot like this not a problem? i realize most of it is visible in the background, but it keeps attracting my attention more than i would like it to. Or am i just being anal?
I realize the old film type of grain/noise is nice at times, but this doesn't seem like that.
Please dont shoot me

Ordo that variation just doesn't work for me. yeah the noise is gone for the most part, but so is his whole face. seems very unnatural
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

well, black and white shots shot on film often had grain which helped to give nice contrast and character to the shots. so having noise in black and white shots (depending on the subject) can be visually appealing

like this one, i like the noise in the background. and it does not interfere with the subject and actually accentuates the fine contrast.

i agree with others, i really like this shot, minus the dark spot on the shoulder.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote