Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:31 AM   #11

I like the way the light reflections at the bottom and the dark limbs at the top frame this shot. It's almost like we've wandered down a path and this break in the woods suddenly appeared. Almost wish the non-natural elements (fence, etc) weren't there...
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:59 AM   #12

Thanks. Clonning the fence is beyond my actual skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
This is really nice. I've tried this a couple of times but can't get it right. I suspect I'm choosing the wrong picture to start with. But this picture is really nice, it makes me want to try it again.
You'r right. Need to chose the proper pick but sometimes itīs good on conventional photos:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1t27af.jpg
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:05 PM   #13

Now that's a cute picture! The nice thing about that one is that it doesn't look too soft or over-done, it's just nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:36 PM   #14

Thanks mtngal and everybody!
Second Ortton (and last in this forum, i promise):

Old May 11, 2010, 11:15 PM   #15

I'm not sure that I like this as well as your first one (this is an emotional response). I like what the effect did to all that green. But I think I'd rather have the horse and rider sharper (maybe blend in the original horse and rider only?). It's the type of shot I should love, outdoors, a horse and rider, etc but I don't. I think I wish that the horse and rider stood out more, but have no idea how to do that without really messing up the picture. I'd be really interested in what others think of this shot and why, I could be way off-base here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:53 PM   #16
Super Moderator

yea, i share similar sentiments. i like the feel of the vegetation. but i just wish the horse and rider were more prominent in the scene. they feel more like they don't belong, rather than being an important element at the size they are.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 8:31 AM   #17

Yep. I have to agree with both. Originaly the idea was to show the mountain. While I was shooting i found the rider. They were pretty far away. If i crop it i wont have a nice result and the monuntain alone is a so, so pick.
Anyway it was useful as an exercise on Ortton, a tremendously useful effect. Thanks for the CC!
Old May 12, 2010, 3:16 PM   #18

That's a pretty cool effect. I thought I'd give it a try - here's my first attempt. Not nearly as good as the ones posted here, but it's kind of fun to play with. Thanks Ordo.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 4:50 PM   #19

Not sure about the pick you began with. There're picks for Ortton effect and picks where Ortton will not work at all.