Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:54 PM   #1

Default suggestions for reshoot

Hopefully this isn't too frowned upon but does anyone have any suggestions for how to reshoot this? Two things I think need work are the angle to include my feet and the background with part of the dog in it is distracting. Or should I scrap the whole thing and try it from a totally different place? I went for an orton effect but not sure if I am totally sold on it either. All of the above is making me really want to reshoot it, just not sure if I am missing some of the more subtle aspects of a good picture.
Attached Images

2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:00 PM   #2

As a dad twice over, I love the shot. I would move the baby up more, toward left arm and turned so the face shows. I felt it was out of focus and too dark. My take below.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:17 PM   #3

i would try a different angle all together ..... i can see what you are trying to do but think to pull it off lighting is the key try and use a white sheet thrown over the sofa-settee and maybe even move it in front of a window to introduce more light .... i do prefer the original version over the other edit congratulations aswell im also a new dad of 4 month and have tried various shoots
Old May 1, 2010, 5:23 AM   #4

Yes use the mother and not the Pop , else you risk mixing the child up
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 6:04 AM   #5

both parents should be shot not with a gun LOL with the camera followed by a family shot , with your child being so young and unable to support themselves boy? or girl? it maybe be better to stand upright supporting the childs head or even lay the child on your forearm for a side shot or useboth arms and cup the childs head for a top crown shot
Old May 1, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6

I think that since the dad is looking at the camera we loose the candid feel of the moment. The angle may work, but I'd try a more natural pose first where the father's face is visible to an extent but he is focused on the child.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 3:38 AM   #7

yes, i agree with jim, both you and baby should either looking at the camera, or both not, or both looking at something else, which i know is hard because of the babys age, so i think the father looking at the baby in a candid type shot as jim suggested
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 7:35 PM   #8

Maybe its my lousy monitor but color balance is way off on this one. A pose where the baby fits in and where both parent and baby look completely at home is what Id go for. You are holding the baby like a big Hoagie. Doesnt look right to me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 11:19 PM   #9

Kinda echoing the comments but why I think you want to reshoot it is that the viewers eyes are drawn naturally to eyes. The real focus is the interaction between dad and baby, yet the pull is away from baby. When you get there, the upside down face makes you want to twist - it becomes the viewer that moves into an unnatural position.

I agree with the comment about having the dad look more toward the baby - direct the viewer to the focus. Adding other things will probably be more cluttered/distracting, but see what it looks like. The focus also seems a bit soft on your child.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinLF; May 7, 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: adding last line
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 6:15 AM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. We are hoping to get out some today and take pictures. Grandmother has announced for mothers day she wants a family photo. You mean, pictures on a beautiful day out in the woods...what an arm twister.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote