Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 9, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1

Default Couple Flowers, Happy Mother's Day!

Just a couple of shots I took playing around with the 50mm 1.8, on a T2i. First is my tribute for Mother's Day, second was just a neat looking flower at my Grandma's. I'm new to photograph, as I've said around here, so all advice is more than welcome! I took these in Aperture Priority mode, just FYI. Thanks for looking!

cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2

I would stop down a little on the second shot to get more of the flower in focus. Stopping down on the nifty fifty to about 3.5-4 will yield sharper results. Not a bad try, the 50 1.8 is not to bad of a macro lens.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:39 PM   #3

I'll keep that in mind, I'm sure I'll be using that lens quite often indoors during my trip to Ireland next week.

The thing that bothered me most about the second shot is the spot of bright color on the right from the out of focus flowers, but I didn't know how to gracefully fix that with Lightroom 2. I think that would help the relatively less vibrant main flower look a little less bland.
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 11:41 PM   #4

The thing about macro shooting is planning the shot, looking for shadow problem and it always a good idea to check out what is in the background also. But I agree that the flower is the background to take a bit away form the main flower.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5

Since you were just playing around and I presume that the shots are pretty much out of the camera, the only critique I'll add or echo is about the set up. As the others have said, planning is important. When focusing on your subject it's easy for the mind to block out distractions while the camera does not.

In the first shot, the pen, the fringe or at least the threads that aren't in line with the others should be removed/straightened. Although well out of focus, the background is still very busy and the back lighting takes away from the vibrancy of the colour of the flowers. Sometimes you can go for that more subtle effect, but the lower left portion of the subject has the dark background. I'd take a few more shots from slightly different angles, perhaps with the red flowers completely out of the shot and maybe some with more of them in, ie either window or flowers in the background, not both. Also try some with even less in the background if you can.

The blurred countours on the plant stand in the background add something though.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote