Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 13, 2010, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Water Drops

A couple of shots taken with my new (old) Nikon and 28mm Macro lens. I know, 1 pic per C&C but these are variations on the theme.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2010, 1:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i prefer the 2nd shot here. the little lightburst adds some interest. i wouuld think about deepening the black a little, and bumping up the contrast to make the outline pop a little bit too. and i think you can crop a little of the glass off the bottom as well, and then extend the top canvas and fill in. just some thoughts, may or may not help as i didnt try it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2010, 2:04 PM   #3

interesting. The first thing i noticed was the blotchy background. And i agree that less of the water on the bottom would be preferable.

In my opinion, the angle seems flat? (too low) Maybe if the camera was higher up, looking slightly down?

picture 2 (on the right), is my favorite.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

I heartily agree with all your comments. The shot on my computer looked too dark so I applied Shadow/Highlight. Big mistake. That accounts for the blotchy background. I thought about cropping the bottom but I kinda liked the texture of the bubbles. Ok here are the original files with cropping only.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; May 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM.
Old May 13, 2010, 5:55 PM   #5
Super Moderator

yes, the black and the contrast looks a heck of alot better in the originals.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:10 PM   #6

Thanks Dustin. My little Nikon is turning into a pretty nice camera.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Thanks Dustin. My little Nikon is turning into a pretty nice camera.
"little"

yea, the originals look really good, what is the magnification on that sigma? 1:2?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:45 PM   #8

Its the first macro lens Ive owned. It says 1:1.8D EX DG Macro. Its a 'normal' 28mm until I add the 2X tele converter, then it will only work with its smallest aperture (f22)and only focus from about an inch or so away from subject.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:01 AM   #9

Bynx,

A few questions:

Did you trigger simply by hand, and how difficult was it to catch exactly the right moment?
Did you have to take umpteen pictures?
What shutter speeds did you use?
Flash or not?

Cheers,
Mark
Old May 14, 2010, 7:27 AM   #10

Well Mark, using the Nikon allowed me to dig out some of my 35mm equipment. I used the old Braun flash attached to the Nikon with a 25 foot cable. Although it was only about a foot from the camera pointed sideways at the water drops. I used 1/2500 sec. When I tried water drops with my little Fuji I rigged up a board with a hole in it to fit a hypo like object used for refilling ink cartridges. Filled with water and sitting in the hole facing down to the dish of water below I would just push the plunger and click away. This time I didnt both with the holder and just pushed the plunger with my left hand and clicked the camera with my right one. It takes a few shots but you get to understand the rhythm of the drop splashing. The higher you hold the hypo from the glass of water, the easier it is to get what you want. This was my first time using the Nikon but I think the focusing was easier and it has faster shutter speed than the Fuji which has 1/1000 max. I cant think of a cheaper thing to do for some satisfying enjoyment. A glass of water filled to the brim which sits in a bowl to catch the overflow. A free hypo device or any sort of thin tubing would do. Some water and some patience. I like getting to see the beauty of things which go by so quickly as to never be noticed. Throw a bit of dye into the mixture and it gets very interesting. Ah, you gotta love digital. Doing this in the 35mm days would have cost a fortune. Now you just keep the good ones and the rest, well they never happened.