Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 27, 2010, 7:58 PM   #1

Default Newbie posting first picture with ZS3 :)

Hi there!

This is the first picture I shot with my new camera Lumix ZS3. Quite honest I don't really know all the functions yet, I just shot the picture in IA setting and actually realized after the fact that the ISO was set for 100 and it was an indoor shot under a very poor light....

So, definetely not the best result. I tried to play with it a little bit in Picasa.

Despite of being imperfect, I still wanted to post it here, because it was my first shot and still wanted to hear what you all have to say

PS: I also don't know what the best way is to post a pic here... so here it goes...

By the way... this is my daughter, Mia... she had just woken up from a nap time...
Attached Images

Last edited by TwiceBlessed; May 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM.
TwiceBlessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2010, 8:09 PM   #2

This is not bad for your very first ever attempt with a brand new camera. There are LOTS of websites (including this one) that will help you with the finer things like composition, flash usage, how to shoot just about any subject for maximum effect, yadda, yadda, yadda. You're going to LOVE the ZS3!! I got mine a couple of weeks ago and find it the perfect "carry-with-me-everywhere" camera. Take a look at my lawn mowing threads! heheheh
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3

Blessed-

It appears that you are off to a good start. For a first photo with a brand new camera you did quite well. Photographers are like concert pianists, the more they practice, the better they get.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 11:36 PM   #4

Thank you very much for encouraging comments.. ) I am so excited to finally have a camera to take great shots of my twins!

I am already trying to read and soak any information I can find on this forum and few other places... I am still having hard time with the terminology of things but I am sure as a newbie I am not alone in that respect...

For now, I am just taking the shots, make the camera (IA setting) take care of most things for me and do the rest by trial and error... I am hoping within time, I will actually know what I am doing...
Old May 28, 2010, 1:17 AM   #5
NLA

Nice picture of a very lovely child.

If I had to say anything distracting about the photo, it would have to be regarding the way in which she is set within the frame. I don't care for the way the top of her head is cut off. Other than that, I think that you did a great job.
Old May 28, 2010, 2:07 AM   #6

Thank you so much for your critique and comments, NLA.
LOL & and I totally agree with you on that framing issue. My original plan was to arrange the framing to include her whole head but she moved her head up a little at the very last second before I could take the shot... Or more correctly, she moved between the time I pushed the botton and the picture was taken... That delay just kills me! P&S camera is just not fast enough to match my hyperactive kids! LOL

I know, what I really need is to use a DSLR to capture the shots before they move around, but unfortunately I don't have the budget to buy one and most importantly I don't have enough knowledge to use any manual setting at this time.

I am hoping this ZS3 will help me learn the basics of the art of photography first... Then when I am ready and have the budget to match, I will certainly upgrade to the wonderful world of SLR's

Nevertheless you do have a very valid critique indeed...
Old May 28, 2010, 5:56 PM   #7
NLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceBlessed View Post
Hi there!

This is the first picture I shot with my new camera Lumix ZS3. Quite honest I don't really know all the functions yet, I just shot the picture in IA setting and actually realized after the fact that the ISO was set for 100 and it was an indoor shot under a very poor light....

So, definetely not the best result. I tried to play with it a little bit in Picasa.

Despite of being imperfect, I still wanted to post it here, because it was my first shot and still wanted to hear what you all have to say

PS: I also don't know what the best way is to post a pic here... so here it goes...

By the way... this is my daughter, Mia... she had just woken up from a nap time...
TwiceBlessed (I just LOVE your handle), you are quite welcome. I also wanted to come back and add that I think I used much too harsh of a word ('distracting') in my previous post to you. It is nothing of a distracting nature, in the capture of your little angel. It was just that I would have preferred that the top of her head hadn't been cut off.

I had just assumed that you cropped it like that; not once giving weight to the probability that it may have been shot like that. So, for that, I do apologize .

I also understand what you mean about the delayed shutter mechanisms in P&S cameras, and that is the main reason that I entered into the fantastic world of DSLR's. I used to be burdened by the very same delayed shutter issues, when I shot with a P&S. Once you are able to get yourself a nice DSLR - you are going to absolutely love it.

Divorce yourself from feeling that you must reach a certain level of expertise before you get one. I am still learning the ins & outs of my cameras, but it is such a blessing and a joy to have such tools by which to learn on.

Blessings,
Nathan
Old May 29, 2010, 6:51 PM   #8

The other thing you'll find as you experiment is how important your positioning is. We're used to taking pics of adults from eye level and the same should go for kids. Take shots from a kneeling or sitting position - their eye level or lower. The head to body perspective is more normal, their head position is more normal - not straining to look up, but most importantly, I think they show more personality when you are at their level.

Kevin.
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 2:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLA View Post
TwiceBlessed (I just LOVE your handle), you are quite welcome. I also wanted to come back and add that I think I used much too harsh of a word ('distracting') in my previous post to you. It is nothing of a distracting nature, in the capture of your little angel. It was just that I would have preferred that the top of her head hadn't been cut off.

I had just assumed that you cropped it like that; not once giving weight to the probability that it may have been shot like that. So, for that, I do apologize .

Nathan
Nathan, no problem. I knew you you meant well. I probably should have noted the circumstances of how the picture was taken... lol.

Old May 30, 2010, 3:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLF View Post
The other thing you'll find as you experiment is how important your positioning is. We're used to taking pics of adults from eye level and the same should go for kids. Take shots from a kneeling or sitting position - their eye level or lower. The head to body perspective is more normal, their head position is more normal - not straining to look up, but most importantly, I think they show more personality when you are at their level.

Kevin.
Kevin, thanks for your comments and I absolutely agree with you. I usually do that . Although sometimes for the sake of the moment, I still give in to the temptation to take the shot from my angle since I am afraid if I waist time to position myself, the moment will pass My twins are like fireballs, they don't stay still for 10 sec at a time )

However, for the most part, I try to get to their eye level. I certainly see a difference in the quality of the outcome (personality and body perspective wise) in doing so.

Here are two new pictures from this weekend, that I would like to get all your C&C as well. None of the pictures have been edited or touched. I just wanted to see your comments on the originals first before anything was done to the picture.

Both shots were taken in MS1 "High Sens" mode. We were at the Oregon Cost Aquarium indoors and I wanted to have the light come out of the aquarium like in real life but still be able to see them in the picture as they were exploring the sea life for the first time this close up

Pictures show some noise but I don't know what I could have done to fix it (or maybe there was nothing to do, because the ZS3 might be limited to what it can do in low light)...

Anyway, I appreciate any comment... Good and the bad.. Just let it all out