Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 28, 2010, 3:23 PM   #1

Default Photo help. running river.

I spent alot of time trying to get a good picture of this little rapids in the river. Problem was that it was middle of the day with full sun. The right side of the picture was in strong shade and the left side was in full sun. I tried using an ND4 filter and a polarizer to cut some of the highlights from blowing out. This was the best I could come up with after alot of post processing. Any ideas on what to do better next time or how to make this pic look better?
Attached Images

A change in perspective
will change a barren wasteland
to a field of opportunity
tikamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 3:24 PM   #2

I also tried it in B&W. Dont know if its any better?
Attached Images

A change in perspective
will change a barren wasteland
to a field of opportunity
tikamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 3:46 PM   #3

It's the sort of problem HDR is ideal for - difficult mixes of light and shade. This was with my program on default settings but you could reshoot RAW and create a multiple exposure shot.
[Edit] of course, this is based on your first already processed version and not the original but no reason why you can't mix techniques - it seems to have worked well here.

Last edited by MartinSykes; May 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 5:50 PM   #4

HDR is certainly one approach, if you like that kind of look. I find it visually irritating more often than not. The traditional answer to this problem is a graduated neutral density filter. I keep a .06 GND in my bag for just these occasions. It would be ideal for the scene you show, is very easy to use, and looks completely natural to my eye. FWIW.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:32 AM   #5

tikamidnight, the area of sun looks great, but the area in shade seems a bit flat. I think the best way to get this picture to be better is to wait for better lighting. Sometimes there is only so much you can do with landscapes and just have to rely on what it gives you.

Also, your B/W version doesn't do anything for me. Too many small details to see and my eyes go crazy with the lack of color helping me out.

Martin,
Although i use your program a lot and it works for most of my jpegs, i feel that your version of this photo seems really off and does not look good to me at all. I do understand what you were trying to obtain with the lighting though, and maybe that is all you were going for.
Old May 29, 2010, 2:29 AM   #6

I quite like the pseudo-hdr result but agree it's not particularly natural here but then it is based on the heavily processed image. A much more natural result would obtained with an unprocessed original.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 4:56 AM   #7

i would have done a longer exsposure to make the water more creamy

Last edited by simple; May 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:28 AM   #8

This is a situation which really calls for a multi-exposure 'true' HDR. Take 3 to 5 exposures 1 stop apart, and combine them with a High Dynamic Range editing program. Some (or most, actually) may give you problems with the water, though.

In order to use a psuedo-HDR program, such as Martin's, the best approach would be to use a shot exposed strictly for the highlights, and let the HDR program take care of the shadows.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:59 PM   #9

I like the shot, it's just a bit flat. IMO, what it wants is vignetting and either high saturation or B&W. I think the problem with your B&W version is you just went into PS and selected Mode > Grayscale.

In the B&W version here, I discarded the red B&W channel, and overlaid the green at 50% opacity over the blue.
Attached Images

jWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 8:15 PM   #10

I like the effect you ended up with - not as a realistic photograph but as a realistic drawing. It really reminds me of illustrations in some of the books or magazines I read as a child, esp ones published in the 50's and 60's (I think they were published then). JWest's saturated version in particular has that feel. The BW has an almost woodcut feel.

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote