Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Default The Question

This is a thank you to those who offered suggestions for this in the "Tips and Tricks" board, including the one about making it about her, and not a picture. The timed shots stopped before I think it really sank in, but I think things turned out pretty well. Taken with a Canon T2i and kit lens at the Cliffs of Moher in Clare, Ireland.

She said yes, by the way,
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:51 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Congratulations on the engagement and a great picture to remember the moment!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:59 AM   #3

I love the look with the arms folded like she's considering it. Wonderful photo that you can always look back on and remember the moment, and congratulations!!!
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:47 PM   #4

The wires are very distracting. Also, you should have used fill flash to bring out details in the faces and clothing.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:47 PM   #5

Probably right on the flash, but I only had the onboard flash and I'm not very experienced in using the flash outdoors (and really, indoors I try to use the flash as little as possible because I don't like blinding people). It's definitely something I need to learn how to do for the future, though.

I couldn't do much about the wires, as they were much better than the stone walls they had around the rest of the cliffs they have open to the public.

Thanks for the comments and kind words.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:59 PM   #6

congrats
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7

First of all, congratulations.

The two issues that have been brought up, wires and fill flash, are very easy to correct with software. You made it even easier with you choice of background vs. the wall which would limit the picture.

It would be in poor form and etiquite to work on a picture without the photographer's permission. Since it is a picture that has personal meaning to you, if you would like me to try, just say the word.

Last edited by tizeye; Jun 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:14 PM   #8

A little PP work and you have a picture she will love forever.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:36 PM   #9

Tizeye, I have no problem with that of course, though I'd appreciate it if you described what you do so I can maybe try it out myself afterwards. I typically use Lightroom or, if I need more specific features, The Gimp for editing.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp87 View Post
Tizeye, I have no problem with that of course, though I'd appreciate it if you described what you do so I can maybe try it out myself afterwards. I typically use Lightroom or, if I need more specific features, The Gimp for editing.
I have never used Lightroom and have looked at Gimp. I am sure they will have the equivalent, but description will be from Paintshop Pro 3x. I've used Paintshop since it was a shareware program but will probably be 'progressing' to Photoshop/Lightroom in the near future.

I was going to suggest using below as guidelines on a copy of the larger original file size vs the posting downsized.

1. The lines were removed with the scratch remover. The trick on using that tool is to take it to a border change, like ground-sky, or will mess up the transition. Also used scratch remover (narrow width) for that hair at her mouth.

2. Was going to use 'object remover' for the pole but opened up the width of the scratch remover. It wasn't as clean as the others, so when had 'clone brush' out put some water texture in there.

3. Clone brush - very small to touch up the transition areas from the scratch remover. i.e. the ground/sky horizon, and the pole/water/wave. Also, a larger clone brush and took out the blue on the ground.

4. Fill Flash - OK I cheated. PSP Pro has a 'fill flash' option that lightens the foreground. Can accomplish the same adjusting brightness, saturation, and contrast.

Good luck.

Cliffs of Moher is a beautiful place. Had to go twice because the first time the fog was so thick had 10' visibility. Luckily I wasn't on an organized tour but rented a cabin in County Claire and could drive back.
Attached Images

tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote