Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:18 AM   #1

Default Photo 3 : Outside my window

a pigeon sitting outside my window.... i tried to edit and make the background look blur to give bird the focus...

pls suggest ...

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by rathore4u; Jun 6, 2010 at 5:23 AM.
rathore4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:52 AM   #2

the pigeon is def the main focus, but because youve made all the background blury, it makes it look like hes floating. in my opinion the bottom right brick should be in focus to... or at least more in focus that the back bricks. just looks a bit odd. nice pic of the bird tho
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions jason... i am uploading the original pic too... tell me what can i do to that
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Thats much better! You got the pigeon very nicely.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5

the original picture is so much better than the blurry one. Anytime you try and add blur to a background it usually doesnt look to good because its hard to get the edges took clean.

And the other issue with the blurred version as mentioned before is that brick the bird was standing on should not have been blurred because it is at the same distance as the bird.

the original is nice and sharp though.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:59 AM   #6
Administrator

Another issue is that the first photo looks like it may have been resized and recompressed by the forums software (as I see it's dimensions as 1023 x 767, versus 1024 x 768 as you second image shows; and the EXIF has been stripped out).

You'll want to make sure you do not exceed the maximum file sizes and dimensions for images you upload here (no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side, and a file size of no larger than 260,000 bytes (253.9KB). My guess is that the file size of the image in your first post exceeded the 253KB limit. So, the forums downsized and recompressed it.

See the second post in this thread for more.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...oto-forum.html

When you exceed the limits set for file size or dimensions, the forums software will automatically downsize and recompress them, and that will degrade image quality (as it will use very high JPEG Compression). It also strips out any EXIF information. So, you'll want to make sure you have your editor's JPEG quality slider set to a value that insures you do not exceed 253.9KB for the images you attach to posts here. Then, the forums software will not try to modify the images.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7

@Jim : Thanks will take care next time
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:23 PM   #8

I wonder if this works? I like separating the bird from the background.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:03 PM   #9

bynx, while that is better, it still looks strange. It looks fake.
My belief is that if you dont get the correct DOF when you take the picture, there is no way to change it in photoshop. That is my belief with a lot of techniques.

That being said, this picture would have been extremely difficult to blur the background because it is so close to the subject. I would say, keep trying Rathore4u, with different pictures with backgrounds slightly farther away from the subject.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:45 PM   #10

Knowing its fake to start with pollutes a true opinion. There is no way knowing how far away the back wall is when blurred like that or what the DOF was when the shot was taken. I only spent a couple of minutes with the pic and I think its better than the original with all that texture competing with the bird. The bird is separated from the wall and stands out on its own.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote