Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:16 PM   #1

Default First try at the Lomo effect!

This is my first try at the Lomo effect. Please tell me what you think of it. Did I make the effect right? And what do you think of the photo in general?

Best regards/Daniel

DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2

Except for the guy walking along with his hands in his pockets, the rest look like zombies. Its a strange looking shot to me. Not saying its bad, just odd.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Except for the guy walking along with his hands in his pockets, the rest look like zombies. Its a strange looking shot to me. Not saying its bad, just odd.
Hehe!
Okay! Well, I must agree it is a bit odd. But I like it anyway. Thought it was pretty cool and different. And it looked a bit old in some way.

Thanks for your input mate.

Best regards/Daniel
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:31 PM   #4

Middle person is too dark on my screen. I don't know. If you'd waited a moment and taken one again with just the farthest back guy, that'd be interesting. A quick read on Lomo and I like the concept. Your streetscape fits I think. Funny, most of my shots are just snaps. Maybe I'm a lomo kind of guy.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Middle person is too dark on my screen. I don't know. If you'd waited a moment and taken one again with just the farthest back guy, that'd be interesting. A quick read on Lomo and I like the concept. Your streetscape fits I think. Funny, most of my shots are just snaps. Maybe I'm a lomo kind of guy.
Thanks for the input.
I took the shoot through the windshield, so I didnīt have time to take more shots before or after. So it is a real snapshot but I kind of liked the old dude in the middle

Best regards/Daniel
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:11 PM   #6

I just looked up the lomo effect. This sure isnt for me. Intentionally make your picture look bad with color contrast, saturation and throw in a dark vignette around the edges. To what purpose would you want to do this? It copies a cheap Russian knock-off camera from the 50s. I just dont get it.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I just looked up the lomo effect. This sure isnt for me. Intentionally make your picture look bad with color contrast, saturation and throw in a dark vignette around the edges. To what purpose would you want to do this? It copies a cheap Russian knock-off camera from the 50s. I just dont get it.
Mostly it attracts people who want to take "oldy" looking photos of everyday objects to make them more 'interesting,' the effectiveness of such is left for the viewer. There's a very large niche for lomo, it seems more popular with the younger crowd than old people as the over the hills are content with taking "normal" more cliche pictures. Lomo adds a certain atmosphere to a picture and the digital representations of it is like ordering Kraft Dinner at a 5-star restaurant. You're supposed to take a light hearted approach for lomography, there's no obsessing over histograms or exposure here. There's a 'shoot from the hip' "rule" for lomography although all 10 "golden rules" are meant to be broken. No it's not for everybody, it's supposed to be fun and easy. I don't expect anybody on this site to appreciate lomography as it is much more fringe compared to anything here.

This is more what a 'true' lomograph should look like. Shot on 120mm Kodak 400VC with the Diana+.
Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:56 PM   #8

Lomography started out as just plain bad pics produced by a cheap camera. Then the nuts came out of the woodwork and a cult following started for the bad photo look. For some reason those people are still around. I suppose we could strive to duplicate or replicate all sorts of bad images, like as if taken with a pinhole camera or some other cheap cheap cheap camera of dubious origins. I guess each to his/her own. Just doesnt make sense to me to go out of your way to duplicate a bad image.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:44 PM   #9

I've seen some pretty good photos from pin hole cameras, actually. Photography is a dynamic, wide field and shouldn't be constrained to obsessing over histograms or pixel peeping. One mans bad image is anothers appreciative framed print, so naturally those with biases will choose whichever way they are biased. I've seen lots of pros use pin holes and Holgas, if not just for the fun of it. Personally I don't see the point in cornering yourself into photos of just straightforward "good enough for an advertisement" kind of experience. Plus it's really just not so subtle elitism, it's basically saying, "Oh they're not using the new 39mp Digital Hassy Back so it's cheap and bad."Well, if it makes you feel better!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:04 PM   #10

Its harder to make a good picture than a bad one. Striving for bad is just the easy way out.