Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:39 PM   #1

Default railroad track(s)

was bored during lunch today at work, so i decided to take some odd vantage points of
railroad tracks... i have a few in the series that are a bit 'different', like this one.

Any comments or critiques are welcome!

I was having a difficult time getting a good depth of focus that i really liked... im not terribly happy with it still, but i ran out of time.

EDIT:
FYI, i had not realized that huge 'dip' in the tracks until i looked at it on the computer, i had no idea how rough trains could be, (i've never been on one) but that seems awfully bad.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Jun 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:27 PM   #2

This is a good composition to do focus stacking and Helicon Focus. Everything in your image would be in focus.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:01 PM   #3

i didnt even think of that. Is focus stacking just like taking 3 exposures for an hdr.. but the camera takes three different depths of focus?
Can i combine them using photomatix?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4

You actually take a bunch of pics changing only the focus from near to far so when all the pics are assembled with Helicon Focus it produces a final photo with everything in focus.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:24 AM   #5

Hi Eric

I really quite like the shot. Both the interesting focal point (and 'dip' in the track) - as well as the colour work well for me.

At the same time, I agree with Bynx, this would make a very interesting focus stacking photo (I've never even tried focus stacking, but have seen it done and it can be very interesting). from memory, some amazing macros can be done that way - where depth of field is just physically impossible to get that broad otherwise with a DSLR especially. (Bynx is a guru of post processing imho!)

Can I ask -what camera, lens and settings did you use? The bokeh is a bit harsh / rugged in some place- but not too bad.

Cheers. Again, thanks for sharing. It's a photo that has captured my imagination!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote