Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1

Default Shades of Color

I kinda like the way the colors got more grey the further away.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:38 PM   #2

this i like.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:26 PM   #3

Yes, it definitely has that 'layered effect' - the more distant the less saturated the colours. And good that there are a variety of colours in the trees, too. Nice one, Bynx!

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 8:08 PM   #4

Thanks guys. This was a particularly interesting event of the view from my balcony. Behind the grey clouds are hydro towers which is what I usually see over the trees. When the clouds covered them over I grabbed my camera.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:16 AM   #5

Ah yes, sometimes hydro towers can actually destroy a photo - with their 'blatant' metalic / human intrusion feel.

Other times they can (artistically) be used well in composition. Generally I hate them.

I have a question - when you write "hydro towers" do I understand correctly these are electricity towers (that carry power through electricity cables / lines) - or are they something else (e.g. water storage towers?)

I ask because in Tasmania (island state of Australia) - people (used to?) call electricity poles (or'telegraph poles') - hydro poles, as all Tasmania's electricity comes from hydro dams (lots of lakes at high altitude in Tasmania).

However in other parts of Australia, notably the 'mainland' - where it is drier and not so many mountains / lakes - these are not usually referred to as 'hydro towers' or 'hydro poles' but as 'electricity poles' -which is understandable (and more correct in that setting).

Cheers ... looking forward to the answer.

Also - could you post a sample shot WITH the towers - that would make a very interesting comparison (if you don't mind me asking!). Thanks mate!

PS - edit - I'm glad that many places, especially suburban areas now have underground power. Makes the place look a lot cleaner, less feeling of 'industry' - and of course much easier to photograph buildings or landscape without sometimes those annoying power lines cutting through all compositions! I'm glad my suburb and area in Adelaide is 'power pole' free!!! :-)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Around here if its a pole I just call them telephone or hydro pole. But these are metal towers quite huge. I live near Lake Ontario and just a couple miles from me right beside the lake is a large nuclear power station. So the hydro towers go from the plant to points hundreds of miles north, east and west.
Attached Images