Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:43 AM   #1

Default Waiting

Hello everyone. Well Im fairly new to photography and have been taking different pics of subjects that interest me. As I was driving I saw this man just sitting and waiting for someone to pour some change into his cup. The way he was sitting and his expression caught me so I pulled over and took the pic. Let me know your opinoins? How can I improve the shot or what could I have different? I cropped the photo in photoshop and turned it into black and white.

Camera Nikon D5000
Lense 70-300mm
Shutter - 1/30
Arpeture - F22
ISO- Lo 0.3
165mm
Metering- Spot
No flash
Thanks.
Holguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:49 AM   #2

I am a fan of street photography. Your shot is overexposed (note the blown out bag) and out of focus. I adjusted the exposure and contrast, and used Focus Magic to sharpen up the image. I could really play with a shot like this and make it radically dramatic.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I like people shots of 'life' going on. I think that one of the biggest ways to help this would have been to open the aperture right up rather than have it closed down to f22. This would have taken most of the distracting background out of play. Also you say you cropped, did you crop much? If so then framing tighter will help with subject isolation as you are using a longer lens, so the aperture combined with the longer focal length would take the store in the background more out of play and draw the attention to your subject.

I'm not sure if it is out of focus, if it is camera shake or just in the re size from post production (PP), although I guess camera shake with 1/30s on that focal length.

It might be worth leaving some space around the sign on the extending arm.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4

Ok when I photoshopped I also auto sharpened and did something else cant remember, but here is the same one just as black and white.

I aslo used a smaller arpeture cause I wanted a slower shutter. The reason for the slower shutter was to be able to show motion in the car behind him.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I guessed about the car re the shutter speed, but everything else is too distracting and the car being blurred in this case doesn't add anything to the photo, if the car was the main subject or a more important part the potentially it would have worked with the slow shutter.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:47 AM   #6

Ok I understand now. I will surely keep that in mind when shooting. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong it can work really well. Possibly if it had been a crazy busy road and the guy was there in almost solitude and you could have shot wider with the cars shooting past then that would have been cool, but when tight then isolation works better.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:59 AM   #8

While I agree with Mark here, I think your concept for the photo was excellent -- it was just that the execution was too hard to pull off without a tripod. We've all been there, where the idea was a keeper but the photo was a disappointment. OTOH, the photo gods make up for it by giving us the occasional accidental photo that was a lot better than our concept...

ETA: When you find yourself in these low-percentage shot situations, if you think of it put the camera in "continuous release" mode. You increase your chances of getting a "keeper" by shooting a sequence of a dozen or so shots all at once, and you are lkely to move the camera the most during the first and last of the shots. FWIW

Last edited by tclune; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:07 PM   #9

To add to Mark's ideas - I think the biggest problem I see with people attempting "street photography" is they completely throw out the concepts of photography - too many are just quick snapshots without regard to composition or to the effective settings of the camera. They react too quickly and don't think for a couple seconds. That somehow because it's "street photography" - focus, sharpness, composition don't matter at all. I disagree. You're telling a story, so you need to decide QUICKLY what story you want to tell and what components are critical to that story. In many cases the real world offers way too many distracting elements - you need to decide whether to include them or not. The biggest improvement is to get better at getting the shot correct in-camera. In this case a faster shutter speed and wider aperture. With those correct in the first place it would be easy to crop the photo and retain quality. Also - take a couple shots - he wasn't going anywhere. That way you can decide after the fact if a car in the background or without is better. You can't think of or predict everything - but taking several shots over a minute can allow for things to unfold differently and give you several different shots to choose from.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Super Moderator

One shooter who really captures street life well (IMHO) has some great shots here http://photocamel.com/forum/street-u...ay-people.html I know it's not our site but the style is so strong I thought it would be good to share and inspire.