Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Default My Daughter

Ok here is a pic I took about 3wks ago. Nothing done to it as far as PS.

Camera Nikon D5000
Lense- 35mm
Shutter - 1/500
Arpeture - F1.8
Iso - 200
No flash

What do you all think of the pic and what could I have done different?
Thanks.
Holguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:59 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The composition in the frame is nice with your daughter off to the left. Using f1.8 has made the depth of field (DOF) too shallow so most of the features are not in focus. You can see the focus point part way down the glasses. In a portrait you can get away with not everything being sharp as long as the eyes are perfectly in focus.

Doing some post production (PP) is your friend and needed on basically all photos the same as was done in the film days except that PP was done in the lab. Increasing the contrast and lightening it up a little would help add punch to the shot.

The pose is fine as you've added some head tilt and she isn't look straight towards the camera, she just looks a little uncomfortable in the smile..... tell her a few jokes, we all know that children love the jokes of their father LOL.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. One question when taking a portrait pic do I focus in the eyes? If not then what is my focus point? Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:22 AM   #4

When you are taking photos of a person, better put the face in the focus. This will make the whole photo look natural. Just personal experience.
christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:45 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holguin View Post
Thanks for the advice. One question when taking a portrait pic do I focus in the eyes? If not then what is my focus point? Thanks.
Yes, you want to nail the eyes in 99.99% of portraits, there might be a very rare case not to for some artistic reason but this is not usual.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

This is why it's often better not too have too wide an aperture, you really want her whole face in focus here.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 3:30 PM   #7

Ok I think I have this whole aperture thing wrong. I understand that the smaller the aperture the more light that comes in, but I also thought that the smaller the aperture the more blur you get in the background. Am I wrong, or is the blur caused by the way we focus?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holguin View Post
Ok I think I have this whole aperture thing wrong. I understand that the smaller the aperture the more light that comes in, but I also thought that the smaller the aperture the more blur you get in the background. Am I wrong, or is the blur caused by the way we focus?
You are not wrong, but you need to find a balance.

For example with your shot, you had 1/500s, this is not needed, in face with the lens you had you could have used 1/50s or to be safe 1/100s.

With the aperture creating a shallow depth of field, again this will throw the background out of focus, but if it is too shallow then you lose the main aim of having your shot in focus. I would have closed down the aperture a little and moved further from the hedge or whatever is behind then you would still have separation in the image and also the face would be sharp. Give f3.2 or f4 a bash and see if that is giving enough in focus.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:34 PM   #9

OK. Mark thanks for the advice I greatly appreciate it. I will try some shots and see what happens. Thanks again.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:42 PM   #10

Great advices. You can also try some pp tweaking:

Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote