Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:13 PM   #1

Default Bee on Flower

Hi everyone. I am posting this in the critique section because I really don't
know if i like it or not. I know the post processing can be better. I want
some real hard honest critiques. What ever you got, throw it at me.

Edited:

Things I am not happy about it are:
-The saturation is high, but i can't seem to bring it down without making it "dull".
-The bee's color seems to blend in too much with the flower.
-There are quite a few areas that are blown out. (I did end up cloning a bit on the bee.

Original:

Last edited by ewheeler20; Jul 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:55 PM   #2

I edited it again, and really like the colors in this one:
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3

I like the colors in the last, good improvement. I like the depth of field. I don't like the stem in front of the petals and I don't like that the bee is behind the petals.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:29 PM   #4

Thanks,
There isnt a whole lot i can do with the bee, but i can clone out that stem. I'm indifferent right now as to if i like it with or without it:

Last edited by ewheeler20; Jul 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:36 PM   #5

Cheers for your post, Eric

IMHO - without the stem looks better.

Shame the bee's face / head isn't very visible. While the shot is interesting, I think you highlight the limitations about it in your post.

I know from experience these types of shots can be very difficult to get 'just right'. Well done - and keep trying / sharing!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6

thanks, this was pretty much the only "keeper" of about 50 photos i was trying to take with this bee on the flowers. lol
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7

Considering what you started with, you've done a very good job of processing to recapture what's essentially an over-exposed picture. I prefer it without the stem - good job of cloning. I don't see any exif so I don't know what camera you are using, but if you can, next time either try some other metering besides matrix, either center weighted or spot. And if you can't get it to expose right, try either to set the exposure manually or else set a negative Ev. It's MUCH easier to work with a picture that's not overexposed.

As it is, you've done a very nice job, I'm impressed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 2:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I don't see any exif so I don't know what camera you are using, but if you can, next time either try some other metering besides matrix, either center weighted or spot. And if you can't get it to expose right, try either to set the exposure manually or else set a negative Ev.
That was way over my head. I have the canon powershot sx20. I have no idea about metering... usually when i try to get it to expose right, i just continually "press the shutter half way down to focus" and see what kind of exposure i get out of it. Trial and error for me. I know that is obviously not the right way of doing it...

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:56 PM   #9

Your SX20 has the ability to change the way it meters a scene - evaluative, center weighted and spot metering. Evaluative takes into consideration the entire frame and sets the exposure to a middle for everything. If your shot is mostly dark or mostly light, it will misjudge the exposure, making it too light (blow out your lights) or too dark (think grey snow). It will do a good job most of the time and is probably the default setting.

You also have the option of using center weighted, which is similar to matrix but puts more "weight" on the center of the picture. That works well if what you want exposed correctly is in the center of your picture.

The third option your camera has is spot metering. That takes one small spot in the center of the picture and exposes for that, ignoring the rest. It's very useful for flowers but lousy for sports (I accidentally did that - shot a player wearing black shorts and the center point was pointing to them - totally overexposed shot!).

Check your owners manual as to how to change the metering modes, then experiment to get an idea of how each mode will work for you. I'm not familiar with your camera, but the specs I looked up for it does say you have the three metering options.

In your example, you probably used evaluative metering and it tried to bring out detail in all that background shadow, overexposing the flower and bee, your subject. If you had used center weighted metering, the camera would have probably (not necessarily) have set a faster shutter speed, making your subject better exposed. Spot metering might have worked, but you would have had to be careful that you weren't metering off of the black part of the bee or the brightest part of the flower.

Give it a try and see how your camera reacts. Each mode has their uses and their disadvantages - you can't say to only use one over another.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:00 PM   #10

good info, thanks!i will try and experiment the next time im out there taking pictures.