Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 4, 2010, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Problems with black colouring on birds

I need advice on how to overcome the problems I have with the way black birds come out blotchy when I upload them, as this little robin has.

Name:  2-p7037891b_229w.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  229.4 KB

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bernice
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2

try using imageshack to upload se if anything changes
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:07 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
I need advice on how to overcome the problems I have with the way black birds come out blotchy when I upload them, as this little robin has.

Attachment 158221

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bernice

Bernice,

Hi, EXIF says 676 mm. Perhaps no wonder then... Is it cropped? There still is some detail in the posted version. Could see that in Photoshop. Did some manipulation. Doesn't solve the problem though

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Jul 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:29 PM   #4

Thank you Torgny

Yes, it is cropped. I haven't grasped all that the exif data tells yet. 676 mm is the 35 mm equivalent of the focal length which I noted as being 119.6 mm isn't it? What does this mean in relation to the quality of the image? I cropped then resized to the forums preferred 800 pxls. It looked OK after the resize but seems to have lost quality on uploading. When I do any work on the photos I convert to .tiff first, do any pp then save for web which converts back to jpeg. I did very little if any pp to these photos except for sharpening in the 'save for web'. I was disappointed with this shot after I uploaded.

Bernice
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:21 PM   #5

What was the image size in bytes after you did the save for web? If it was over 243k, the forum software would have re interpolated to a smaller file size, and there is a known problem in this.
Focal length can be an issue in long shots, as any amount of atmospheric haze between you and the subject can make things a bit more blurry. I also see the shutter speed was bit slow unless you were using a good tripod, and the bird was holding still.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
What was the image size in bytes after you did the save for web? If it was over 243k, the forum software would have re interpolated to a smaller file size, and there is a known problem in this.
Focal length can be an issue in long shots, as any amount of atmospheric haze between you and the subject can make things a bit more blurry. I also see the shutter speed was bit slow unless you were using a good tripod, and the bird was holding still.

brian
Thanks for helping me to understand the issues Brian. It was an overcast morning. The file was 229.x KB after I resized - I put this information into my file name. If I hover the mouse over the pic I get a yellow label which gives me the original filename and other info (I have a Mac using Firefox). At the end of the filename I have _229w.jpg which is my code for size and 'saved for web'. also, I thought the max size for the forums was 253 KB.

I was using a tripod - just bought one two weeks ago, I'm not proficient with it yet and yesterday found that there was a very small movement from the plate not fitting as well as it could on the head. Have replaced the plate. Shutter speed was slow because I tried for maximum light and aperture priority would only allow f5 and the shutter was chosen by it.

A second, later suggestion from Torgny on another thread was that "Side light, perhaps spot metering, central focus point may do the trick". Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'm going to try it out next time I see a currawong or magpie (robins aren't all that easy to come across).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bernice

Last edited by onlooker; Jul 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
onlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:35 AM   #7

You are correct about the file size. I'm typing in the dark, and make mistakes.
Pictures of black animals tend to be difficult. Detail in dark areas doesn't show well unless the rest of the picture is overexposed, or you are able to bracket, and combine for HDR. With birds, this can be impossible, as they just don't seem to hold still enough.
Using spot metering on the body of the bird might help, but would slow your shutter even more. Regarding tripod use: I find that using a remote shutter release can help. I sometimes crowd the camera and generate movement that way if I am not using one.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
try using imageshack to upload se if anything changes
Simple I'll get back to you on that one - is worth a try.

Bernice
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Shutter releases are good. If you don't have one (or even if you do) you can use the mirror lock-up option (usually a 2-3 second delay where the mirror locks up right away, then there's a delay before the shutter trips). That lets everything settle down a bit before the picture is taken.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote