Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:04 AM   #1

Default Finally got the courage

Well I finally got the courage to get off my car and ask a person if i could take their pic. Got tired of trying to take a pic from afar and always end up with so so results. So here is the pic please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Camera Nikon D5000
Shutter - 1/640
Aperture - F4
Iso - 200
Lense 35mm
No flash
Holguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:19 AM   #2

I'm glad you had the courage! The elderly-ish (?) gentleman's face reflects quite a character.

It's quite sharp, and nice blurred background, but not perfectly sharp (at least his beard / chin and eye appear just a fraction out).

It's a good idea and has potential. Keep trying and posting / sharing! Maybe there is just a bit too much picture to the right side... but I'm not sure.

B&W presents an interesting perspective / feeling to it! Cheers.
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:33 AM   #3

Great pic. Really like it a lot.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I've never been brave enough so good on you.

As mentioned it is soft, that might be the photo, that might be the PP and resizing done or possibly cropped in too much, hard to tell from without seeing the original.

The B&W works well although a bit flat, with more contrast it could give more punch.

They guy has got great character in the face which is good but the crop doesn't quite work for me, a little too tight on the neck for my taste. I don't mind it being so close to the left of the frame, we don't have to stick rigidly to the rule of 3rds etc but just give him a little more room to make it more natural.

The shallow DOF has worked well to give context but not distract.

Did you take any with him just sitting, not looking at you as this could be more 'street' style and look less posed?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:14 AM   #5

I have had a right angle lens attachment for over 30 years. Ive used it a very few times. But if you are interested in natural street portraits I highly recommend it. To find the web address I happened to get into a forum talking about this lens. A lot called it creepy. But not so. Its advertised as great for kids. Well it is. I am of the opinion that taking pics of kids is not creepy. That capturing young innocence for posterity has strong merits. This lens does that. You can get kids or anyone else that might be camera shy to actually watch you with an intent look at what you are doing while you are actually taking their picture. I cant say Ive ever taken any kids pictures with it. But I have taken many bedoins who wanted money for taking their picture. But thinking I was taking pictures of other things they just watched me taking their picture without knowing it. And they were very close when this was going on. I got many pictures like you have shown here and without having to ask permission and breaking that look that happens when a camera is pointed in their direction.
http://opteka.com/optekavoyeurrighta...alcameras.aspx
By the way I like your shot. While there may be too much room on the right. The strength of the portrait draws like a magnet and keeps the eyes there. The minor flaws as mentioned I agree with. But overall a really nice shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:56 AM   #6

I like your idea of having the guy look back over his shoulder, with the traffic flow in the background. I'd probably crop some off of the right, to the traffic sign, still allowing one to visualize the oncoming cars.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7

Its definitely an unusual shot that leaps out at you! I love it. The cropping etc is fine. I am no professional but as someone viewing it, i think it really says a lot! Well done.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:18 PM   #8

I would have liked to see a little more of the old man's shoulder. And crop somewhat of the right side, as WalterC said.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9

Ok here are 2 pics that I tried to apply the advice that were given by some.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Let me know what you all think. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:57 AM   #10

I would also like to thank you all for the great comments.